Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need solu delta cortef in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionkennels View Post
    Prednisone makes you feel Damn good too. I've taken it myself when I had a bout with a bad virus
    Prednisone and prednisolone are different drugs ...

R2L
    Thanks in advance Taso

Quote Originally Posted by R2L View Post
    i probably can buy solu medrol but i wonder if it works just as good.
    From what I understand, dex is better with anti-inflammation (30x better than hydrocortisone); solu-delta is better for straight shock.

Solu medrol is good at both ...

R2L
    For anti-inflammation i use dex for sure. I just want to have the best available anti shock for dogs in my kit, in case i need it. Solu delta cortef has been helpful to me before.

Solu medrol has Methylprednisolone as active ingredient. But i can't find much sites that has "shock" it in the list of indications with real studies to back that up.

Shock: In severe hemorrhagic or traumatic shock adjunctive use of i.v. methylprednisolone may aid in achieving hemodynamic restoration. (Although there are no well-controlled [double-blind placebo] clinical trials, data from experimental animal models indicate that methylprednisolone may be useful in hemorrhagic and traumatic shock. See also Warnings regarding septic shock.) Corticoid therapy should not replace standard methods of combating shock, but present evidence indicates that concurrent use of large doses of corticoids with other measure may improve survival rates.
    http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharm...LU-MEDROL.html

A study has failed to establish the efficacy of SOLU-MEDROL in the treatment of sepsis syndrome and septic shock. The study also suggests that treatment of these conditions with SOLU-MEDROL may increase the risk of mortality in certain patients (i.e., patients with elevated serum creatinine levels or patients who develop secondary infections after SOLU-MEDROL).
    http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...f-3e3795c70032

First of all, they're not much different from each other:

Solu-Delta = Prednisolone sodium succinate
    Solu-Medrol = methylPrednisolone sodium succinate

Secondly, septic shock is different from hypovolemic/trauma shock.

Finally, I guess the best evidence I have found regarding the use of Solu-Medrol is the fact it is used in trauma hospitals worldwide.

Jack

Hell, in just a brief search, here is evidence that even Solu-Delta doesn't help anywhere near as much as just lactated ringers alone for massive blood loss ...

"The addition of prednisolone sodium succinate to the treatment regimen improved the effectiveness of LRS alone only in some dogs at random sampling times. Significant trends were not observed except, possibly, the improvement of venous pH and A-V pH and PCO2 differences".

R2L
    Thanks Jack. I have (re)found(lol) your article about solu medrol also, good stuff its all in there.
    Since you say its good for both anti-inflammation and shock, would/should you leave the dex out when you need the solu medrol anyway?

Lactated ringers i have. Is shock in/after a show mostly caused by massive blood loss? I never thought about the cause..

Thanks Jack. I have (re)found(lol) your article about solu medrol also, good stuff its all in there.
    Since you say its good for both anti-inflammation and shock, would/should you leave the dex out when you need the solu medrol anyway?

No, dex is great for (say) if the leg got brutally mangled. Lotsa swelling, but no real shock to the dog. In this case, dex is the choice for reducing the swelling.

Dex is also the preferred choice for snakebites, bad spider bites (brown recluse, etc.).

The good thing about Solu-Delta is it is very fast-acting, but it also is out of the dog very fast, so it's a double-edged sword.

Solu-Medrol stays in the dog longer than Solu-Delta, which can be important if you don't have a lot onhand.

Lactated ringers i have. Is shock in/after a show mostly caused by massive blood loss? I never thought about the cause..
    The elements that cause shock in a dog deal are: 1) blood loss/dehydration, 2) trauma/swelling, 3) absolute total exhaustion, and 4) pain.

Jack

R2L
    Thanks

Jack, i have this ones also.
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/voluven.html

Is it better then standard lactated ringers for shock in case of blood loss?

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Voluven.

I do know that hypertonic saline is another valuable aid to shock recovery though ...

Jack