Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: drying out naturally

Yes indeed lol. There are pro am shows we still do day of but either way I'd still like to know how that would work for the dogs. I'm curious if just purely controlling diet and not dehydrating at all will work as well in animals? Maybe I'll just give it a practice run to find out lol
    There is no winning dogman that dehydrates their dog for a show. Period

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    A dog weighs in the same day as a show, it's completely different to martial arts.
    In Thai boxing, mma and boxing you weigh in 24 hours before a fight, the idea of drying yourself out and sweat training is so you usually fight at a lighter natural weight because you have 24 hours to rehydrate, if your doing your cut through diet and not cutting water then the thing you face is the strong possibility of fighting a bigger man. I'm Thai boxing and mma this wasn't a huge deal as guys didn't really know much about cutting weight but in later years the mma guys have really caught on which is why you have huge guys at the weight. In boxing you just wouldn't have ever got away with it because the professional edge of the sport had the athletes way more advanced.
    The reason you way in 24 hours in advance is for fighter safety around dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    In fact there are plenty of winning dogmen that dry there dogs out. There are also a lot of variables that i believe need to be taken into consideration. For example everyones definition of drying out is not the same. Some people like to come in with a 1/2 to a 1 count and some people come in with a 3 count. Some people also give their dogs fluids after they weigh in. Is the dog completely hydrated after that probably not but he will be better off if it goes the long haul with some fluids back in him than no fluids in him imo.

Theres a difference in 2 count and being dehydrated. Is it my poor english or would you consider it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gotap_d View Post
    In fact there are plenty of winning dogmen that dry there dogs out. There are also a lot of variables that i believe need to be taken into consideration. For example everyones definition of drying out is not the same. Some people like to come in with a 1/2 to a 1 count and some people come in with a 3 count. Some people also give their dogs fluids after they weigh in. Is the dog completely hydrated after that probably not but he will be better off if it goes the long haul with some fluids back in him than no fluids in him imo.
    There is indeed a confusion/muddling of words here ... DEHAYDRATE and "dry out" are not the same thing necessarily ...

To set my dogs moister I have always used salt in their diet and always tried to bring them in as hydrated as possibie

Comparing the dog being weighed and immediately competing vs. a guy making weight and rehydrating over a 24 hour period is pretty much apples and oranges. One the human only has to make a certain weight. He then competes at a different weight so he can actually go down to unhealthy levels, levels he could not perform at, and then rehydrates to a weight where he can compete. The dog must be brought to a weight with a 'certain amount of water' and then compete at that weight.

Picking the correct weight with a dog is far more important because the dog actually competes at this weight. The human can make weight and rehydrate 10-15 pounds or more in a 24 hour period.

And like Jack said, one has to be careful with the terminology. Drying out and dehydrating are two different things. Just as dehydrating and dehydrated are two completely different things. One is a process and one is the end result.

EWO

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    Comparing the dog being weighed and immediately competing vs. a guy making weight and rehydrating over a 24 hour period is pretty much apples and oranges. One the human only has to make a certain weight. He then competes at a different weight so he can actually go down to unhealthy levels, levels he could not perform at, and then rehydrates to a weight where he can compete. The dog must be brought to a weight with a 'certain amount of water' and then compete at that weight.

Picking the correct weight with a dog is far more important because the dog actually competes at this weight. The human can make weight and rehydrate 10-15 pounds or more in a 24 hour period.

And like Jack said, one has to be careful with the terminology. Drying out and dehydrating are two different things. Just as dehydrating and dehydrated are two completely different things. One is a process and one is the end result.

EWO
    Perfectly said

EWO
    That's what I was trying to say lol

EWO
    Well said. Most people try to compare dogs making weight with boxers or mma fighters making weight but it is an incorrect comparison for the reasons stated above. The more appropriate comparison would be between the dog and a professional body builder. The training stages are very similar. Body builders are at their weakest and worst health during their contest because of low body fat and extreme dehydration which us very similar to a dog's weight being pulled down too far and dehydrated.