Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did the lightner dogs and Colby dogs help produce?

I've seen 2 quality Colby dogs. Both of them were off Colby's Otis out of littermate sisters, and this was back in the 90s. One went over an hour in a check with a son of Ch.Tramp, and I watched the cousin, off Otis, snatch the teeth out and about a ruin a quality champion dog in about 45 minutes. I saw some pretty decent dogs off both of those males, but as far as I know, they were never bred back to any quality Colby bitches.

I talked to V.J. last night. He told me he did go and check out those Colby dogs that were close by him. Said he did not like what he saw. That some of the locals had tried some out. Were not up to scratch compared to the more popular bloodlines being used. So there may be a good one here and there. From so many years of non competition, it appears bred on name only to long. The Colby line has seen it's heyday. Best use what we have today and preserve the purer tested lines we have.

I still feel after chatting on line with some dog men that have had some of the best Vise Grip dogs. This still is a excellent line to preserve or cross with, if someone feels they need to add some new blood to their dogs. I see a lot of Pit Bull in such smaller packages. Was looking at a black & white bitch that I believe is now deceased, bred off a Vise Grip dog that was killed by two R. Ridgeback hounds. Bitch Looks like the old timey Tudor/Carver Black Widow blend. Stated weight was only 34 pounds. Without knowing and just looking at the picture. Could have passed for a 42 to 44 pound dog. Just, IMHO.

I reckon, I just like well built smaller old time Carver and some of the Mayfield blended dogs. Even though later in my last years in the dogs. I was trying to breed up bigger dogs since most of the lines had gotten bigger on the average. Mostly from the Paladin crosses and the Jocko-Red Boy crosses and Bully Son - Eli dogs. To each his own. Cheers

I used to own a bitch named Nowell's Creeper, who was down from the Otis dog Frosty speaks of. She was given to me by Conan, but after awhile I gave her away myself, because she was thin-boned and very shy.

Never did anything with her, so I can't comment on her quality ultimately. There are a lot of supposed Champions in her ancestry, and I have no way to know if this is true (or at "what level" these supposed Champions competed at).

One thing I pride myself on, however, is the ability to SEE the athleticism, etc. in a dog, just by the way it moves. It was my opinion that Creeper, in addition to being shy, was a gangly and not very athletic animal. Also, her skin and bones were very thin, and she simply did not have the rugged durability that my dogs had.

In addition to extreme gameness, another reason my dogs are able to repeatedly and consistently go and ultimately win in 1.5 to 3 hour-long fights is because they are TOUGH (thick bones, thick hide). At the top of the food chain, you need extreme athleticism, supported by thick bones, and protected by a thick hide ... all driven by extreme gameness ... if you expect to win a long, drawn out fight. After observing the shy, gangly, thin-boned, thin-skinned Creeper for a few months, I just made the decision to give her away ... as there was no way in hell she belonged next to my other bulldogs.

Unfair decision? Premature?

Possibly.

But I have have been able to keep the same family of dogs in the winner's circle, for more than 2 decades, because I know an athlete when I see one ... right away when they're young ... and I didn't see what I like to see in that particular animal.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    I used to own a bitch named Nowell's Creeper, who was down from the Otis dog Frosty speaks of. She was given to me by Conan, but after awhile I gave her away myself, because she was thin-boned and very shy.

Never did anything with her, so I can't comment on her quality ultimately. There are a lot of supposed Champions in her ancestry, and I have no way to know if this is true (or at "what level" these supposed Champions competed at).

One thing I pride myself on, however, is the ability to SEE the athleticism, etc. in a dog, just by the way it moves. It was my opinion that Creeper, in addition to being shy, was a gangly and not very athletic animal. Also, her skin and bones were very thin, and she simply did not have the rugged durability that my dogs had.

In addition to extreme gameness, another reason my dogs are able to repeatedly and consistently go and ultimately win in 1.5 to 3 hour-long fights is because they are TOUGH (thick bones, thick hide). At the top of the food chain, you need extreme athleticism, supported by thick bones, and protected by a thick hide ... all driven by extreme gameness ... if you expect to win a long, drawn out fight. After observing the shy, gangly, thin-boned, thin-skinned Creeper for a few months, I just made the decision to give her away ... as there was no way in hell she belonged next to my other bulldogs.

Possibly.

But I have have been able to keep the same family of dogs in the winner's circle, for more than 2 decades, because I know an athlete when I see one ... right away when they're young ... and I didn't see what I like to see in that particular animal.

Jack

Nope not Unfair or Premature. I myself have a hard time feeding a dog that I don't like looking at. I'm holding one for a friend right now and the only reason she is still here is because I like her build and looks and her attitude is great.

Quote Originally Posted by wrknapbt View Post
    Nope not Unfair or Premature. I myself have a hard time feeding a dog that I don't like looking at. I'm holding one for a friend right now and the only reason she is still here is because I like her build and looks and her attitude is great.

I see both family of dogs were on the east coast at the start old plantation days .lightner took his west ,pretty interesting history on those 2 lines .

Out of the 2 sons of Otis I saw, Banditg was the one with the athletic ability, though I wouldn't call him a high ability dog. He had some ability, some intelligence, and he was quick on his feet. That helped him a lot the day I saw him. Bandit was off Thistle 2, the sister to Terra who sired Yankee and Apollyon.

Yankee, on the other hand, didn't have much ability. He had about average mouth, but he could take it in spades. Yankee was a brother to the Apollyon dog behind Creeper.

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post

Possibly.

Jack
    How would you compare your TB with evolution. Would you say your are better than his on a whole ?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    How would you compare your TB with evolution. Would you say your are better than his on a whole ?

What is a TB?