Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E MILL KEEPS

Re: E MILL KEEPS

Having a dog run 10mph will not be in better shape, he will have better endurance but that's about it. Running on a mill is easier than jogging on the street, so in all actuality road work is the best form of running you can do, the pads on the dog usually don't allow for extreme distances... But they're easy ways around it. As in MMA, the more well rounded the competitor, the harder to beat. With that said, a emill may give you wind, but you will sacrifice in other areas, this I am certain.

Are you doing 10mph for one or two hours non stop? Thats a pretty fast pace in my opinion and to be able to keep that up with out breaking stride. Great topic. Definately want to hear more on this. Btw i have been told by my mentor that using a mill is just a lazy mans way of conditioning .

DTA, how is a dog being messed up working him that way when he wins in 2 hours, never coming off his feet or taking a deep breath?

Bulldog Connection, yes I have conditioned a dog in such a way, minus the incline.

Purepit, I don't know what aspect of conditioning you think is most vital, but cardio/endurance is the most vital part of any keep. So running a dog at that speed for that time will make the dog in better shape for the most important aspect of the keep. Running on a mill isn't easier than running on the street as running is running. Running the mill is different, of that there is no doubt.

In actuality, whichever form of running allows a man to get his dog in the best possible shape to win consistently is the best form of running. The pads on a dog don't allow for extreme distances because people don't condition them to be such a thing. They just start working the dog, in whichever way, and never stop to consider the pads are like a dog's tires. There are ways to condition a dog's pads for alot more distances than most think, and if that's not good enough, then buy some boots for the feet like sled dog mushers use on their animals.

I'm not sure on sacrificing as a dog isn't going to become weaker due to an emill. It's not going to lose it's natural ability nor it's mouth (if it has any to begin with). An emill is a tool to use, nothing more and nothing less. Some men's understanding are ahead of others, and that allows them to do things others simply can't fathom.

R2L

a dog can recover whilst walking, on a free spinning mill when it chooses to. not if at a constant fast pace for 2 houres on an e mill
    that's how you overwork a dog.

Id like to see some examples of a few emill keeps. I use one for keeping them in shapeand to increase wind. Great tool in the winter. When everythings all frozen up. R

A man can overwork his dog by having it work 5 or 6 days in a row without any significant rest period. Overworking a dog is corrected by rest. It's not corrected by allowing a dog to recover while working. Your dog isn't going to be allowed a chance to recover while in a show as his opponent isn't going to allow that to happen. The animal has plenty of time to recover once the work is over for the day.

R2L

Quote Originally Posted by Crofab
    A man can overwork his dog by having it work 5 or 6 days in a row without any significant rest period. Overworking a dog is corrected by rest. It's not corrected by allowing a dog to recover while working. Your dog isn't going to be allowed a chance to recover while in a show as his opponent isn't going to allow that to happen. The animal has plenty of time to recover once the work is over for the day.
    You're on of them players who turns "fatigue" off on pro evolution soccer.

My soccer playing skills were always minimal at best.

I honestly just believe I've seen plenty of dogs, and not just from this breed, do things that people just can't believe are possible. I am no one on the grand scale of people in bulldogs, but about fifteen years ago, I came up with a goal I wanted to reach in regards to conditioning dogs. I've worked a dog every way that most everyone has in an attempt to determine which way is the "best". That goes from the emill, slat mill, carpet mill, road work, cat mill, weight pulling, spring pole; you name it and I'm almost sure I've done it. What I found is that there is no "best" way to get a dog in shape. Each tool has it's pros and cons, and it is up to us, as the conditioner, to get that particular tool to work to our advantage. Some tools I appreciated more than others due to the intensity at which the dog approached the work with that particular apparatus.

I do know that most conditioners barely scratch the surface of the working capability of our dogs. These dogs are able to work at a very high rate and still be able to perform as desired. To me, following the status quo simply isn't something I subscribe to.

Some great replys guys great food for taught thanks much appreciated, I may have to move house soon so ill have to say bye bye to my jenny ,I always liked my emill for warm ups and cool downs and pre keeping dogs, but always wonder how effective it would be soley used from start to finish ,Its something ill have to come to grips with as a move is inivitable with the state of the economy poxy bankers ,Anyway thank god we have these great dogs to consume the space in our brain that would other wise be used for worrying LOL, If anyone has some emill keeps that the would like to post or pm id love to study them and try them out THANKS IN ADVANCE

It is my view that anything that makes your dog "get tired" works him, and anything that does not, does not.

I disagree with the idea that "all exercises are equal," and I further disagree with the idea that any "one" exercise method is all that's needed.

Of the available conditioning options, if I had to select "one" it would be a toss-up be the flirt-pole and the jenny, it sure wouldn't be an emill. To those who believe an emill (or even a slat mill) is "the same" as running, I totally disagree. For one thing, in an emill, the dog isn't using ANY strength at at all, he is just "moving his legs" so he can keep from falling. In a slat mill, the dog is at least moving the belt with his legs, thereby accomplishing some strength conditioning in the process.

By contrast, with free running or jenny work, the dog actually has to propel his whole body weight off the ground ... as the ground is neither "moving for him" (like the belt of an emill), nor can the dog "move the ground" (like he can move a mere belt in a slat mill). Because a dog actually has to carry and propel his own weight, in true running on the ground, I believe this kind of running to have more overall value to a dog ... but less overall "convenience" for the owner. I believe this is why many natural conditioners believe indoor mills to be "the lazy man's way," because in a way it is true. As with feeding kibbled dogfood, instead of feeding raw, it is simply easier for the human to do, but in the same fashion is not as good for the dog to have it done.

Sure, dogs "can survive" on kibble ... and, sure again, dogs "can get in shape" on mills ... but neither practice is OPTIMAL for the dog.

In the end, feeding raw is the OPTIMAL way to feed a dog ... and free/natural conditioning out on the open earth in the outdoors is likewise the OPTIMAL way to condition him ... the rest are just "more convenient" (for people) alternatives ... but they, likewise, are not as good. And anyone who has ever actually run a cross-country marathon, and compared that level of difficulty to just "running on a mill" in a gym, will be in unanimous agreement with this position

Jack