Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWIM Tank

Widerange, I would say what you describe is hypothesis as it's something you've never done.

Widerange, what if you swam the dog up and down a river for 2 hours, and you did it for longer sets of time. What if you were able to ultimately swim the dog for 2 hours straight? If you limit yourself from trying anything, you stay trapped within your own man-made box of ideas. Now, I'm not saying you could swim a dog for 2 hours straight, because as I've said, I've never utilized the swimming in a keep. BUT, if you were, I'd say that's a pretty tough thing to do, and while you dog may not be in 100% shape, hell, what dog ever is?

Quote Originally Posted by ragedog10 View Post
    Now what I did to add power was bring them to a shallow water with a flirt and have them run thru the water don't know if any of you have ever tried to run thru water but the resistance force is incredible!
    Interesting idea

Please explain the 'force'? I am not sure what that means. EWO

Check the innovative conditioning thread....

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPaws View Post
    Widerange, I would say what you describe is hypothesis as it's something you've never done.

Widerange, what if you swam the dog up and down a river for 2 hours, and you did it for longer sets of time. What if you were able to ultimately swim the dog for 2 hours straight? If you limit yourself from trying anything, you stay trapped within your own man-made box of ideas. Now, I'm not saying you could swim a dog for 2 hours straight,
    because as I've said, I've never utilized the swimming in a keep. BUT, if you were, I'd say that's a pretty tough thing
    to do, and while you dog may not be in 100% shape, hell, what dog ever is?
    I though I covered the fact that it was just my own thought on swimming without you saying anything at all. But once age yes I haven't used swimming in a keep although I yardboy under a kennel for awhile that worked dogs at swimming more during a keep and this is what I seen with his dogs. A few other people I know have used it in different ways from lakes to homemade boxes and although the dogs,
    owners,keeps,ect. Changed it seemed to always pan out the same way. So yes I haven't done it cause I seen it used from the start of my involvement in dogs and to me it doesn't work as well as it should or other types of work would have done better. Again swimming 2hrs is hard work no doubt about it but to me for that dog to swim 2hrs straight you are conditioning it for something it's not going to do in a hunt. Most shows don't last 2hrs (Cali jack your percentages on times would be useful here or the added search to peds. we talked abou) & and if a hunt does go 2hrs a dog in a swim keep was trained at a slower/lower level of work for 2hrs it simply won't hold up to what is being asked of it during a hunt. Swimming a dog 2 hrs straights to me is like asking a spirit runner to train in cross county then compete in a 200m dash. Your doing the work and it's impressive but that doesn't make it right for the show. Give me a flirt pole and a incline landscape over swimming anyday

We killed 2 birds with 1 stone. I was just trying to get you to tell me why you thought such, and since you explained it, I understand now.

Some people claim to have done well with swimming tho and they may have but I have never seen it work myself. Hope I helped in some way

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    Please explain the 'force'? I am not sure what that means. EWO
    Force can be a wide range of things!Force is the interaction between two objects.Force is to make a way through or into by physical strength, breaking open by force.
    A FORCE is a push or pull upon an object resulting from the objects interaction with another object. Whenever there is an interaction between two objects there is a force upon each of the objects. When the interaction ceases the two objects no longer experience the FORCE. FORCE can only exist as a result of an interaction.
    To get deep into force would be to have a understanding of physics and the wide range of FORCE! Gravitational pull,contact force,Action at a distance force are just a few type's. Knowing this would then bring us to the Newton of FORCE in which we could measure the quantity of FORCE.That brings us to the state of FORCE, Newton first law of motion tells us that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion. There for when you have the hound weight pulling that's a type of FORCE, running is a type of FORCE! Now as I stated if you bring them to a shallow part of a watering hole and have the chase the flirt pole the interaction between the two objects (Dog&water) is were FORCE would come into play! This is why the free spinning keep builds a much leaner hound with great wind . In a free spinning keep its less force on the hounds as they don't have to pull or push anything as they are more so just keeping up with a machine or bike! Swimming is also a form of free spinning keep as its not as much FORCE placed on them.

^^^ nice post. In my post I used the word force to cover any activity that you maybe training for and your post explained that to the T

Quote Originally Posted by ragedog10 View Post
    Force can be a wide range of things!Force is the interaction between two objects.Force is to make a way through or into by physical strength, breaking open by force.
    A FORCE is a push or pull upon an object resulting from the objects interaction with another object. Whenever there is an interaction between two objects there is a force upon each of the objects. When the interaction ceases the two objects no longer experience the FORCE. FORCE can only exist as a result of an interaction.
    To get deep into force would be to have a understanding of physics and the wide range of FORCE! Gravitational pull,contact force,Action at a distance force are just a few type's. Knowing this would then bring us to the Newton of FORCE in which we could measure the quantity of FORCE.That brings us to the state of FORCE, Newton first law of motion tells us that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion. There for when you have the hound weight pulling that's a type of FORCE, running is a type of FORCE! Now as I stated if you bring them to a shallow part of a watering hole and have the chase the flirt pole the interaction between the two objects (Dog&water) is were FORCE would come into play! This is why the free spinning keep builds a much leaner hound with great wind . In a free spinning keep its less force on the hounds as they don't have to pull or push anything as they are more so just keeping up with a machine or bike! Swimming is also a form of free spinning keep as its not as much FORCE placed on them.
    Can't wait till weather breaks!!
    Love this type of training with younger dawg their bodies respond to this low force training something incredible !!