Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head Shape and Bite?

Apologizing for going astray.

I have seen them bite and not bite from all shapes and structures. That was my point. I do not think there is a direct correlation between the two. Certain types of structures appear to be 'a biter' and certain types do not.

So that was the reasoning for the reference to the fat cop. He should have not been able to run this kid down and I based that on his outwardly appearance. Just like CYJ's reference to the bumble bee. Same with head structures. One dog will have the 'right' structure and absolutely bite shit in half and the next dog with the same head can't bite thru a biscuit. And the opposite is then true as well. A flat face, short muzzled dog with horrible teeth placement is a bone breaker.

So, no, I would not breed a fat cop if I were looking for an athlete in return. And on the same note I would not breed to a dog based on his head structure hoping that would lead to mouth. EWO

Ditto EWO. Wrestling with a Fat woman is like riding a Moped. Is a lot of fun till someone sees you. LOL

CYJ - funny shit
    Ewo - I agree. I think the biggest variable with something like bite is the effort of the animal which is not anatomical and one cannot measure.

Like most things with these dogs, I believe you'll typically get the average of the animals you concentrate on. So no matter how the head is shaped, if the majority of that line can bite, you'll probably get a biter. If they can't, you probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter Kennel View Post
    Good points. The Hammonds stock comes, typically, slightly undershot. GH believed there is a much better holding ability with undershot dogs than scissor bite dogs. I agree. If you bit hard enough with a scissor bite, you will bite the nose OFF of the bull while an undershot jaw will fold and hold the nose. What do we want to do? STAY in hold or bite multiple times? Now, if you can literally bite the nose and other parts off, then by all means, scissors bite. HOWEVER, how many can bite THAT hard?

I believe the will plays a great role and along with excessive will sometimes, comes tremendous effort. With that, CAN, not always, but most times CAN exhaust a dog. Is this why hard biting dogs, in general, aren't as game as lines bred for other attributes? Of course I'm talking about lines or families bred exclusively FOR mouth.

You can have all the mechanical advantages in the world, but with no effort, it means nothing.
    Without pace in accordance to your opponent and what it will take to win, comes burnout.
    Winners are special.
    Ferg In my world and history i have seen only a hand full of >>REAL<< hard mouthed dogs!!. most dogs labeld as hard mouthed dogs are dogs that take GOOD HOLDS and work them out properly!!!!!!!.
    You will reconize A real hard mouthed dog when its n frond of you doing damage without efford that thussend sink in your brain at first. Most dogs with a good mouth wil show you there skull muscles and jaw muscles bulge up and some of them iven close there eyes while clamping douwn. however they bite as hard as they can. But that thussend mean they actualy can bite hard.

One of the hardest mouthed dogs we have seen was LK ch Candy aka Hammonds Black Angle out of Parkson x Litte Eve. SHE didnt show anything at al she whent on a high leg/ shoulder stifel head for a split second then come of of it and your mouth would fall open. needles to say the hogs she met where litterly crippeld in min.
    her mouth was so extra ordenary that when on her back having no leverichs and only be able to use her mouth se inflikted the same carnige. without any efford.
    I find Breeding for hard mouth redicules... as mouth 99 out of a 100 times dus NOT reproduce. i prefear a Holding dog above anything els mentiond !!. One That finds the right spot and be stuk in there like a alabama Tic!!.

Longest hold i ever seen(chest) lasted 1.01 and gues wat the show lasted 1.01!!!(scisor mouth). History has shown us that the laws of fisics ofthen do not aply when it comes to a knock out punsh ore hard mouth . Teoreticly a shorter muzzeld dog would be able to bite harder. But ofthen a short muzzel means a significend STOP on a high forhead.
    witch teoreticly means Air flow restriction!! on the air intake.

witch means that the lung muscles need to work harder to suck in that air..... and sins our dogs Work with there mouths CLOSED (so far so for many a conditiong keep being used to work a dog) They need al the air intake they can get....... most hard mouthed dogs tire out quiker in there mouth department, as the jaw muscles are the shortest the dogs poseses and tire out quik. hens we CANT make there mouths stronger bij letting them work on the hide. infact this weakens the mouth. . so most hard mouthed dogs loose there bite force pretty quik!!... but can inflik seriues damage..

Best type of head fore great alround work to me is a Alligator type of head(im Biast) split scull muscle on top, rezenable long muzzle, witch can be a bit narrow on the bridge to be able to narrow the bite force on a smaal sirfes, insted of it being spred out over a larger sirfes. nice big noze with wide open nostrals and last but not least, less to NO stop between the muzzle and scull and a rezenable deep jaws...

breed them game and durable and that hard mouth wil come along ones in a while. Having said that The magic dog(two color pictures) had had a significan stop high forhead split scull Deep jaws over divelopt jaw muscles. he dindt shake would flip a uponden over put his full weight on them and dug in and would just scrape bite bite and non lasted longer then 15 min . It took 3 famely dogs one afther another including his own Father and son for 45 min to max him out,, however he was just tired!!. and did not had a mark on him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0006.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0007.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	467  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome Stuff D. I appreciate you sharing.

Nut
    hens we CANT make there mouths stronger bij letting them work on the hide. infact this weakens the mouth. .
    I think no serious person let his dog work the hide to make the mouth stronger, only train the jawmuscles to counteract acidification. if you dont overdo this, and stop 2-3 weeks in advance it shouldnt weaken the mouth..

to ad on the above post.The jaw muscles should NEVER be workt, they pump full with blood in no time. only thing you could ore should do is give them a chew bone ones in a while. Training tegnics from the past like spring pooling ore tug of war where mainly used (by those who knew) to get the kennel stress syndrome out of the dogs, together with rolating the dogs on diferend chain spots . these work ecsersizes dont build up anything at al. They are stamina drains and would not fit in a profesional conditioning program. Bij many a conditioner..

Nut
    Ok, I must say i don't use the springpole or anything else. Just giving a kong for 30 minutes few days in the week, like Jack describes in his mill keep. But hearing this is new to me.

they pump full with blood in no time
    And what does this mean for your dog?