Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPaws View Post
    Lasix will deplete your dog of potassium. If given IV, it will also decrease your dogs blood pressure.
    Lasix given in pill or IV form has the same effect. The only difference is the speed at which the medication works and the IV form would have side effects such as lowering BP depending on how much water is taken off. Lasix will deplete potassium and if you are on a daily regimen then potassium supplements are recommended. Most important is the dosage (milligrams) given. The higher dose given the more water it will take off. A one time dose of Lasix should not affect the potassium level that much.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICKFACE View Post
    Lasix given in pill or IV form has the same effect. The only difference is the speed at which the medication works and the IV form would have side effects such as lowering BP depending on how much water is taken off. Lasix will deplete potassium and if you are on a daily regimen then potassium supplements are recommended. Most important is the dosage (milligrams) given. The higher dose given the more water it will take off. A one time dose of Lasix should not affect the potassium level that much.
    Both could drop the BP depending on the amount of fluid removed, but my experience is based around the IV administration of lasix. Dog's are habitually at a level of dehydration in their everyday life. Lasix is basically a bad idea no matter what the reasoning. A small amount of lasix can pull up to a liter of fluid from a person, much less what it will do to a dog that's already not hydrated as it should be. When you have that, you also run into the risk of possible dropping the sodium level. So much of it happens to depend on what the levels are in the dog before the drug is given, and if a person already has pulled some water from the dog, and lasix is given to pull off even more fluid? It's just a bad idea all the way around.

The factor that means the most is always a variable...the dog's actual water content/state of hydration to dehydration. If the dog is already dehydrated a Lasix dose would be a bad idea.

If the dog was really over hydrated there is no way to tell if he goes from hydrated to spot-on or he may even go past spot-on to de-hydrated. It is a real gamble.

I'm not a fan of variables. I'm trying to eliminate them all the way from day til the show. Sort of a control freak as its get closer. Lasix and exactly where the dog is at would add one I will never feel comfortable at that point.

EWO

I've never thought giving lasix was a good idea, and the few people I've known that use it, I've always advised them against using it. It's a lot more potent than using dex for the same purposes, and everyone should learn how to remove water naturally before they begin experimenting with pharmaceutical help. Crawl before you walk people.

Ditto Frosty Paws. Very good advise.

Good post Frosty. You're a retard if you're experimenting with things mentioned in this thread in a keep without knowing how te remove excess fluids naturally. And if you know, still dont use the crap!!!!! It can help in a small dose if you're to far over 24 houres out. Same counts for steroids. Just dont, unless you got help from an expert using them on bulldogs. You're going to ruin a good dog. JMO

I saw a different dog and believe it was related to the Lasix. He got it done in under 35, but he was not the same animal. Wasn't bad, but I know the dog very well. He was just a hair off and his mouth was a notch lower than normal.

I'm hoping these guys learned their lesson while enjoying the success. Rarely happens this way. Some lessons are hard learned.

also remember , the stuff sometimes works different per dog

what may work on one particular line or family might turn up to be have less or more effect on another line or dog