Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a different kibble.

I am feeding a 50/50 mix of Black Gold Original and Purina Pro Plan Sport

Gotta agree with the valu pak black bag. $25 for #50 and the dogs look and act great. Coats shine like new money and no crazy stools. The guy I get it from runs ch. coon hounds and the food really seems to work well for him.

Purina. They've been around forever and with no major issues. I don't understand why people fuck around with anything else. Victor's new formula is a joke. These over-priced "grain free" foods are garbage too, that will ultimately hurt your dogs. I don't know... 30yrs ago Hi Pro was just fine and no dog died from it as far as I know. Now all of the sudden it's gotta be corn free, gluten free, this free and that free. I mean wtf?! I wonder what Colby fed Pincher...

Are you a Purina salesman? LOL. I mean, who gives a shit what anybody else feeds. If you're happy with Purina then by all means keep feeding it. Nobody is trying to talk you out of it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by brasso View Post
    Purina. They've been around forever and with no major issues. I don't understand why people fuck around with anything else. Victor's new formula is a joke. These over-priced "grain free" foods are garbage too, that will ultimately hurt your dogs. I don't know... 30yrs ago Hi Pro was just fine and no dog died from it as far as I know. Now all of the sudden it's gotta be corn free, gluten free, this free and that free. I mean wtf?! I wonder what Colby fed Pincher...
    I wonder what Colby WOULDA fed had he had more options?

I'm nobody, but like many here, I have over 25 years of feeding a yard averaging probably 20 dogs per year. Valu Pak is as good or bettter a maintenance feed as there is on the market. I feed the silver bag for daily use. It's better than any single Purina product I've ever used.

Brasso - with your logic, why not just really save and feed your dogs corn?

Simply trying to make a point that we tend to overthink today's many options and there is no right answer. I didn't realize this is such a sensitive topic for some.

Sorry to have offended you ladies.

I've been feeding victor for about 5 years now. Shit I pay $90 for a 50# bag. I need to tell the owner of the store about valu pak or open my own store. These prices are crazy

@brickface Have you noticed a change in Victor since the new formula? The Victor Pro is about $51 for 50lbs on Chewy.

https://www.chewy.com/victor-profess...-dog/dp/120686

About forty years ago the guy that turned me onto the dogs fed Field Trial. Looking back it was just about flavored card board. It still had a feather or two in it. We filled two five gallon buckets about 1/2 to 3/4 full or so, then filled with water. Within no time it would swell and turn to a mush, the texture of cheap canned food.

It was forty plus dogs there. Bulldogs, beagles, coon dogs and bird dogs and one big ass Doberman that ran loose on the yard.

On that incredibly cheap shit the dogs did really well. He tree'd coons, jumped rabbits and won matches with the best of them.

The dog is a natural scavenger and will survive on just about anything. The object is to slide off the 'survive' line and ease toward the 'thrive' line.

I knew an older guy that worked in a chicken house. When they 'candled' the eggs any that were not fertile were thrown out. He came home with a five gallon bucket or more of eggs everyday. His routine was the same nearly every day. He fired up a huge pot and boiled the eggs, shell and all. When it cooled he mixed in a bag of powdered goats milk and on occasion a bucket of the cheapest dog food he could find, mostly right off the grocery store shelf.

He won a bunch of matches over the years but around here he was known best for his hunting dogs. His dogs simply put meat in the freezer.

I would think a diet of 90% eggs would be detrimental but it worked for him, and his dogs.

EWO