Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFX's Article on Organic Germanium (Ge 132)

I don't know about this brand, but they date back to the time frame when I began fooling with this stuff. This is 50 grams or 10 times as much as the bottle I posted above for Jon at only about 6 times the price.

http://www.exit15.com/organic-german...60-p-2050.html

Quote Originally Posted by TFX View Post
    Oh, I'd say a bottle or two. It depends on how you are splitting it up, how large the family is etc. As long as you continue to do a number of things to scavenge toxins, balance energy, fill nutritional voids and so forth on a regular basis you should maintain better than average health. As long as I take a hundred mg per day for a few weeks every few months, I feel like I am doing OK.
    Good to go. Sounds good and makes sense.

i went n got some raw unfiltered honey...........taking a teaspoon a day!

Quote Originally Posted by TFX View Post
    Oh, I'd say a bottle or two. It depends on how you are splitting it up, how large the family is etc. As long as you continue to do a number of things to scavenge toxins, balance energy, fill nutritional voids and so forth on a regular basis you should maintain better than average health. As long as I take a hundred mg per day for a few weeks every few months, I feel like I am doing OK.
    Thank you, that is very helpful. Plus the links to buy it.

Amazon can surprise you at times with some low prices. Here they have the Jarrow brand, bottle of 60 pills (100mg) for $23.98, with free shipping if you order $25.00 so you would only need to find some cheap thing to get the free shipping --

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formula...rmanium+ge+132

I have ordered some to try. Paired it up with that old DVD movie Used Cars from the 1980s, that's a funny one... LOL
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

Bump up for an excellent article that really should be a Sticky.

I've been reading some about the Ge 132 and here is an interesting article on its use in treating cancer --

http://curezone.com/diseases/cancer/germanium.asp

Good stuff!

I found this article very interesting, I've done a bit of searching after reading and have found conflicting results.

This was on the American Cancer Societies page:

Germanium

Other common name(s):*germanium sesquioxide, germanium 132, GE OXY 132, organic germanium, oxy-G2, pro-oxygen, vitamin O; other forms of organic and inorganic germanium

Scientific/medical name(s):*bis-carboxyethyl germanium sesquioxide, Ge 132

Description

Germanium is an element. Small amounts of organic germanium are found in some plant-based foods. Inorganic germanium is mined and widely used as a semiconductor in the electronics industry. Both organic and inorganic germanium have been sold as dietary supplements, though the organic forms are more commonly used today. Ge-132 is a compound that contains germanium, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. It is often called*organic germanium, because chemists refer to carbon-containing compounds as organic. This might confuse some people, since the word “organic” in also used in non-technical language to describe “natural” products. However, Ge-132 does not occur naturally and is a synthetic (man-made) substance.

Overview

Available scientific evidence does not support claims that germanium supplements are effective in preventing or treating cancer in humans, and there are numerous reports showing that they may be harmful. A study conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that supplements containing germanium present a potential hazard to humans. As a result, the FDA issued an “Import Alert,” which allows germanium imports to be seized if they are to be used as a food supplement. However, the amount and type of germanium naturally found in foods do not appear to be toxic.

How is it promoted for use?

Proponents claim germanium can be used to treat leukemia and cancers of the lung, bladder, larynx, breast, and uterus. They also claim it can help neurosis, asthma, diabetes, hypertension, cardiac insufficiency, Parkinson’s disease, neuralgia, chronic fatigue, hepatitis, and cirrhosis of the liver. Supporters say germanium stimulates the body's production of interferon, a naturally occurring anti-cancer agent. Some say that it helps the immune system by boosting the activity of natural killer cells, a type of white blood cell that attacks invading germs.

What does it involve?

Germanium supplements are available in powdered form and in capsules ranging from 35 to 500 milligrams. There is no standardized dose. These supplements are available in health food stores and over the Internet.

What is the history behind it?

The late Dr. Kazuhiko Asai of Japan began investigating the biological properties of germanium after reading reports from Russia that said the mineral had tremendous therapeutic value. In 1969, Dr. Asai founded the Asai Germanium Research Institute. He reported that he had developed a way to produce germanium that was chemically identical to the germanium extracted from plants. Dr. Asai also found that germanium was present in many common herbal remedies, including ginseng, garlic, comfrey, and aloe.

Dr. Otto Warburg, a Nobel Prize winning biochemist, stated that germanium helped to increase the delivery of oxygen to cells. He believed that boosting the oxygen supply to healthy cells slowed the growth of tumors.

What is the evidence?

Available scientific evidence does not support claims that germanium supplements promote health or increase the body's production of interferon. It also does not support the claim that germanium is an essential nutrient in animals or humans.

A study conducted by the FDA found at least 31 cases of kidney failure linked to germanium products. A number of deaths have also been reported. Most of these effects were from inorganic forms of germanium, but the FDA has also found severe kidney damage in people taking germanium that was sold as organic.

Because of the way it is processed, organic germanium is easily contaminated with inorganic germanium, which appears to be more toxic than the organic form. It is uncertain whether the kidney damage and other toxic effects reported in people who took organic germanium were actually caused by the supplement’s contamination with inorganic germanium. Because of this problem with purity, supplements containing germanium of any sort might pose a hazard to humans.

In the early 1980s, small studies were done using germanium on people with various types of cancer. In the first study, even those who received the lowest doses had toxic effects, and none of the patients got better. Later, a group of 25 patients were given spirogermanium (an organic germanium product) 3 times a week for 2 weeks. Most patients got worse, and toxic side effects were common. Because of these results—many toxic effects and little effect on the cancer—studies on spirogermanium were stopped.

In 2005, researchers in Arizona started a study to find out if taking pure organic germanium (bis-carboxyethylgermanium sequioxide) might help with radiation-related fatigue. The patients, who have early stage prostate cancer or breast cancer, will be watched carefully for side effects and abnormal laboratory values. The study is still going on, and is expected to finish at the end of 2012.

Are there any possible problems or complications?

This product is sold as a dietary supplement in the United States. Unlike companies that produce drugs (which must be tested before being sold), the companies that make supplements are not required to prove to the Food and Drug Administration that their supplements are safe or effective, as long as they don't claim the supplements can prevent, treat, or cure any specific disease.

Some such products may not contain the amount of the herb or substance that is on the label, and some may include other substances (contaminants). Actual amounts per dose may vary between brands or even between different batches of the same brand. In 2007, the FDA wrote new rules to improve the quality of manufacturing for dietary supplements and the proper listing of supplement ingredients. But these rules do not address the safety of the ingredients or their effects on health.

Most such supplements have not been tested to find out if they interact with medicines, foods, or other herbs and supplements. Even though some reports of interactions and harmful effects may be published, full studies of interactions and effects are not often available. Because of these limitations, any information on ill effects and interactions below should be considered incomplete.

Germanium supplements may pose danger for humans. Several deaths have been reported in the medical literature, with serious illness in some who survived. While organic germanium appears to be less toxic than inorganic germanium, it has been reported to cause kidney damage, liver changes, and heart problems. Other reported effects include anemia, poor appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, tiredness, muscle weakness, skin rashes, and numbness in the hands and feet due to nerve damage. The toxic effects build up over time and get worse the longer it is taken. Many of these effects improve after the supplement is stopped, but kidney and nerve damage persisted and became chronic for some people.

Germanium may interfere with certain other medicines and may make seizures worse. Drugs for which side effects include kidney problems may be more likely to cause harm if taken with germanium. Very little testing during pregnancy has been reported, but at least one form of germanium caused ill effects on fetuses in animal tests. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should not take germanium. At this time, germanium is not recommended as a dietary supplement for anyone due to the potential for serious health hazards.

Relying on this type of treatment alone and avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences.

To learn moreMore information from your American Cancer Society

The following information on complementary and alternative therapies may also be helpful to you. These materials may be found on our Web site (www.cancer.org) or ordered from our toll-free number (1-800-227-2345).

Dietary Supplements: What Is Safe?

The ACS Operational Statement on Complementary and Alternative Methods of Cancer Management

Complementary and Alternative Methods and Cancer

Placebo Effect

Learning About New Ways to Treat Cancer

Learning About New Ways to Prevent Cancer

References

Clinical Trials.gov. Use of Organic Germanium or Placebo for the Prevention of Radiation Induced Fatigue. Accessed at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/sh...rmanium&rank=1 on July 26, 2011.

Food Standards Agency (UK), Expert Group on Vitamins and Minerals. Risk assessment: germanium, 2003. Accessed at http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pd..._germanium.pdf on July 25, 2011.

Gerber GB, Leonard A. Mutagenicity, carcinogenicity and teratogenicity of germanium compounds.*Mutat Res. 1997;387:141-146.

Lück BE, Mann H, Melzer H, Dunemann L, Begerow J.Renal and other organ failure caused by germanium intoxication.*Nephrol Dial Transplant.*1999 Oct;14(10):2464-2468.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Germanium. Accessed at www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69232.cfm on July 25, 2011.

National Products Association. Germanium. Accessed at http://www.naturalproductsassoc.org/...r_bg_germanium on June 4, 2008. Content no longer available.

PDRhealth. Germanium. Accessed at http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/n...ger_0119.shtml on June 4, 2008. Content no longer available.

Schauss AG. Nephrotoxicity and neurotoxicity in humans from organogermanium compounds and germanium dioxide.*Biol Trace Elem Res.*1991 Jun;29(3):267-280.

Tao SH, Bolger PM. Hazard assessment of germanium supplements.*Regul Toxicol Pharmacol.*1997;25:211-219.

US Food and Drug Administration. Import Alert #54-07, Germanium Products, 3/18/11. Accessed at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia...alert_139.html on July 25, 2011.

US Food and Drug Administration. Memorandum in response to new dietary ingredient notification, November 13, 2002. Accessed at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/doc...-01-vol113.pdf on July 25, 2011.

Note:*This information may not cover all possible claims, uses, actions, precautions, side effects or interactions. It is not intended as medical advice, and should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultation with your doctor, who is familiar with your medical situation.

Last Medical Review: 10/14/2011
    Last Revised: 10/14/2011

CALL 1-800-227-2345 FOR CANCER HELP

© 2014 American Cancer Society, Inc. All rights reserved.

Thanks for posting that article. Did you find any updates for the study mentioned that was to conclude in 2012?

This one --

In 2005, researchers in Arizona started a study to find out if taking pure organic germanium (bis-carboxyethylgermanium sequioxide) might help with radiation-related fatigue. The patients, who have early stage prostate cancer or breast cancer, will be watched carefully for side effects and abnormal laboratory values. The study is still going on, and is expected to finish at the end of 2012.

I will look on line for it when I have some free time...

Will post a little till my subscription expires. I worked a good many years with a Professional Herbalist up till a year or so ago. I had retired from Bell South with a full retirement after 31 years service and at only forty nine years old. I worked a part time job with the GNC store for a few years and later with a private owned Herbalist store part time. Just enough hours to learn about Herbal products etc.

I have often thought of trying Germanium, and may do so in the near future. Nature's Sunshine a top of the line Herbal company sells a Germanium product. One of the very best internet companies to buy most top brand Herbal etc. products, is a company named LuckyVitamin.com. Any orders over $49.00 has free shipping and most products are sold at whole sale price or a much lower discount retail price.

Lucky Vitamins does carry the Yarrow Germanium GE132 brand in two bottle sizes and strengths along with some other company brands as well. This Lucky Vitamin company also carries all the Now Food products which is another top of the line Herbal Company etc. Cheers

If you are interested in single Herbs or Herbal Formulas. There is a well researched book that is not expensive to buy at most book stores. This book is titled 4 blood types, 4 diets, Eat Right for (4) Your Type. The Author is Dr. Peter J. D' Adamo. This book's info will help you make better choices. No matter how good a Herb is written up and it's claims. Could be very wrong for you due to your blood type. This book covers all food groups as well. Bee pollen has been mentioned, will work for many people and our dogs. But I can not take it. I can not take raw honey, as it raises my blood sugar to fast. I can take extra strong pure Black Strap molasses with no problem. Pure Black Strap Molasses will do a person or dog much better than pure honey. Add Desiccated Liver and you have a strong blood count builder.

I suffered badly with acid reflux for years, a serious sinus infections that required surgery, that fixed nothing. I now take my correct digestive enzymes, along with low sodium seltzer water, take pure Lemon juice also. Some blood types do better on Bragg's Vinegar.

I quit drinking cow milk and replaced it with Almond milk. All my reflux and sinus problems long gone now for years. Taking those over the counter acid reflux pills will shut down your proton pumps. Allowing undigested food to be dumped over into the large intestine. Over time may created other bowel problems and other auto immune diseases. Most of our health problems originate in the bowels from wrong eating and harmful life styles.

The Herbal Company that has the best Herbal formulas including Chinese Herbal formulas is the Natures Sunshine Company, but are not cheap. The Now Food company runs a strong second with much better prices through the LuckyVitiman internet company. Now food's have a top of the line prostrate product for men. The Now company is owned and monitored by M.D./ Dr. Balch. The Natures Sunshine company is owned by the Mormons from Salt Lake City.

One other thing to learn that will help a lot. Learn what muscle testing means and how to properly do it. No matter the claim, muscle test yourself on the product you are going to buy. It may not be right for you even if the Blood type book says so or it's own company write up says so.

In closing Dr. Peter J. D' Adamo has two new books specifically on Cancer and Diabetes. They are much stricter and list a Super Beneficial listing/Beneficial listing/Neutral listing and Avoid listing. Hope some of this info helps and keeps you from wasting your money. Cheers

CYJ,

Thank you for sharing your experience, especially about the reflux. I'm thinking of omitting milk, coke is being phased out of my diet completely. As much as I love it, I certainly feel much better not drinking it.

That has helped with the reflux issue.