Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat Dogs & Children?

Re: Combat Dogs & Children?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Tudor
    Just for clarification, I was speaking on intelligence, the ones that know the difference from "friend from foe", would also seem to be able to decipher that distinction when it relates to a child, or getting geeked up from seeing a cat in window etc.
    Actually, Earl, I think you bringing up this distinction is worthy of a whole discussion and effort to clarify the issues here, namely the distinction between intelligence and prey drive, as well as the distinction between prey drive and gameness.

All, some, or none of these traits may (or may not) be found in individual dogs. You could also complicate this further by distinguishing dogs that naturally like people versus dogs that naturally dislike people.

An example of a dog with no intelligence, no prey drive, and no gameness (but that likes people) may be a lazy old bassett hound ... who just lays there at his master's feet ... and who essentially does nothing is probably safe around children.

An example of a polar opposite dog would be a people-mean, battle-tested bulldog, with a prey drive out of this world, and a devious nature ... would be a highly-volatile, dangerous dog that would be terrible around children.

How can a dogs like Silverback, Little D, Dirty Hammer, all be together in the house and not crank up, but couldn't be trusted around a child?
    Honestly, I wouldn't trust these dogs to be alone together either. (Keep in mind that I left Silverback and Jezebel alone, for no more than 5 min, and Jezebel fired-up at another bitch in a crate, and had no outlet but Silverback and so grabbed him (who she normally liked), and he responded by DOAing her before I got back inside. Although Silverback's intelligence is great, and while his basic temperament with people is also great (even with perceived "friendly" dogs), the fact is his prey drive is through the roof, and he won't take being grabbed or growled at, which makes him kind of volatile if he gets geeked-up.

Another example was a friend of mine had his two bulldogs together as "friends"---a momma and her own male puppy. Eventually the puppy grew up, and yet they all got along together perfectly for about 18 months. Both dogs were sweet and loving with each other and with people. One day the mama found a rat, and grabbed it ... and then her son tried to grab it ... and (well) you guessed it, suddenly there was World War III in the backyard, with two dogs that had previously loved each other and were mother-and-son.

In the end, they're just dogs, COMBAT dogs, and you never really know what might trigger a "geeked-up" response, which is why I recommend controlled supervision. If that was a child that tried to take away "the kill" ... it could have been ugly.

I'm actually not arguing with you, just thinking you may not be giving them enough credit for being able to do the same with a child You don't have children, maybe that's why, but I and agree in the" better safe than sorry" model.
    I don't have children, true, but I do know how dogs "think" ... and, with the unfortunate benefit of a lot of hindsight, I can see where I (and others) made terrible mistakes in judgment in the past, by giving dogs too much benefit of the doubt, and forgetting that (in the end) they ARE "just dogs"--and combat dogs at that. I think that is why we both agree on the "better safe than sorry" model at this point in our careers

I have one "game dog" (female, which I think makes a difference, maternal instincts), in the house that I truly trust with my 5, 8, and 15 year old, as well as my nieces, however, she isn't just any ol dog, and is truly one of those "most intelligent dogs" that you speak of.
    I have had bitches that were good mothers, and were highly-intelligent, but that were NOT good with kids ... because their prey drive, when geeked-up, was out of this world (Bandana / Red Sonja). I have had other bitches, that were just as good a bitches in the [], and good mothers also, but who were great with kids because they had lazy, mellow temperaments and never got riled-up (Rosey / Sassy). They were big ol' lazy cows that were calm and stable, rather than the geeked-up type.

Therefore, I would be willing to bet that, not only is your bitch sweet and intelligent, but she also has a very mellow, lowkey disposition, with a minimal prey drive (again, not to be confused with gameness).

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack
    Therefore, I would be willing to bet that, not only is your bitch sweet and intelligent, but she also has a very mellow, lowkey disposition, with a minimal prey drive (again, not to be confused with gameness).

Jack
    I would agree she is low key, and now old to boot . And I must admit she is the only dog ever, that has been allowed to be around my children unsupervised. She's one of those rare great ones in her one regard, like an elite GR CH. My daughters love the dogs (well the puppies) and even those are to rambunctious for them to be left alone and unattended to, let alone the grown yard dogs. 8-)

This is how I got started in the dogs. http://heustess.com/episodes/thepooch.mp4 After watching The Lil Rascals I wanted a pitbull. Didn't know what else they were used for til later in life. I'm so glad I knew the other side 1st.

I have 1 bulldog at home, she's very kind with everyone and love human touch. I have a newborn now, and she's always inside the house but i try to never ever leeave my 1 month baby alone. She seems fine to him, no sign of aggressiveness at all but you may never know. I trust her, but always 99% not 100...

Folks, I think it all comes down to the individual dog, and to some extent the line of dogs. I have had dogs in my little family that are a bit too keyed up to be alone with my kids. The vast majority however, have been and are very gentle dogs. When my daughter was about 3, she spent lots of time in the whelping box with an old veteran of the pit and her get, but not totally unsupervised. I think it is a very desirable quality in a bulldog, just as I do a game dog who will play with puppies. Really what we are talking about here is nothing more than INTELLIGENCE.

The other side of the coin is that the kid needs to learn to be confident in the way they deal with the dogs. That is a tremendous confidence builder in the young person, and this association is part of a healthy, normal upbringing. We have all heard the adage "a boy and his dog". It didn't come from some psycho freak that fought everything that moved. I am not saying that type of dog should be altogether avoided for sporting purposes alone, but show me a well rounded dog that has equal talent and ability as the freak, and I will show you a dog that is more useful and enjoyable to own, and will likely stamp his or her offspring with those same desireable qualities in greater percentages.

With all the contravorsey about this breed here is a lil something that might make 1 feel a lil different. http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/pit-bu ... ods-020312

Quote Originally Posted by relentless
    With all the contravorsey about this breed here is a lil something that might make 1 feel a lil different. http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/pit-bu ... ods-020312
    That's a cool news story. Should throw that on at McDonald's.

I have some great dogs that are great with my children. Poncha being my favorite one around the kids.(she is one of those dogs who realize kids are more delicate.) But even still if I leave the room or house so does she. I personally feel young kids and dogs should not be left alone together.

I have a picture that I would really like to share. I know this might seem like a crazy question, but can someone PLEASE tell me how to post a picture as I'am still new to this site, Thanks.