Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Over the counter antibiotics may be a thing of the past.

I'm not giving up my guns or bulldogs. No way, no how.

My dad said very mountain,looks different from each side, now,I know this may cause some to be upset, but is there a
    Legitimate reason why this may be put into law. I know if we, "humans " take to many antibiotics, they may become less
    Affective to fight the next infection. The cattle man using the best antibiotics over and over, again, and doing his best know how,could this be creating
    Strains of infections that will be stronger than the antibiotics? When you've done something for years,or all of your life,Change is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by treezbulldogs View Post
    I'm not giving up my guns or bulldogs. No way, no how.
    Yes sir!

Kendall most ranchers know their cattle better than any fresh out of school rookie vet will ever know. It's ALL ABOUT MONEY for the greedy drug companies who are in bed with the board of veterinarian's.

It's fuckin stupid we can't practice medicine on our animals we've raised for years but get some school and you are an expert. Boo!

S_B

Exactly right S_B. ��

Kendall has a point regardless of how many people like it or not. The trouble is most of the time, antibiotics aren't taken for the proper amount of time they are prescribed for. That's why you have such things as MRSA and various other super bugs in hospitals today, of which I work in. The same is said for people and their giving of abx in animals. Think about all of the time where abx are given for maybe something viral, in humans or dogs. Abx do not work on viruses. They make work on a secondary infection, if there is one, but that's not always the case.

Most ranchers know their cattle as most people with dogs know their dogs, but that doesn't mean they know medication, when to give it, how long, or even what for.

I certainly am NOT proposing that the possible law is fair and just. On the contrary, I think it's a load of horseshit, and plenty of animals are going to suffer for it, along with the people that raise these animals.

And with that said Lakota I can agree. What my feed store said this law means for them is a lot more paperwork, antibiotics that are fed will no longer be available without a script, any injectables otc will still be available.

Seems to me the ease of feeding a cow/cattle medicaton would be much more feasible rather than trying to inject each cow that needs it, especially if you are running beef cattle as they are wild and not easy to handle.

None of us want our food (cattle) to be given meds incorrectly but taking the farmers ability to treat them for various ailments away is not the best solution imo. Tests on the meat to determine quality seems a better route to me as well as offering ranchers access to proper protocols of administering medications.

S_B