Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crosses vs. Inbred/Linebred bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    Ok Jack!

Well I knew you weren't speaking volume, and after I re-read what I posted I realize it sounded as though that's what I was saying.

There are many highly accomplished Jeep/Redboy crosses I will post them as I get time.
    I won't deny there are many accomplished Jeep/Redboy crosses ... but I said winningEST (not just winning)

Here are three of Jeep/Rascal (Rascal/Honeybunch) dogs (no Redboy) I don't think any Jeep/Redboy/Rascal dogs will equal:

Gr Ch DaBeast (7xW, DOY)
    Gr Ch Sampson (5xW, 5x BIS)
    Mountain Man's Ch Homer (4xW)ROM

Two of which beat 2 Champions and a Grand Champion ... the other is the baddest dog Lester Hughes ever owned, him and Zebo, and he's been in the middle of all the Jeep-type mixes

Jack

Here are a few Jack, I think they compare pretty well with the addition of Redboy.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=21651 Smokin Joe 8xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=9811 Tank 5xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=28565 Rambo 5xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=3464 Tramp 4xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=11104 Clyde 4xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=20564 Ernie 4xw
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=1360 Cobra 4xw

Jeep/Redboy/ and...

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=7498 Nine Mili 5xw DOY
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=23661 Willie Jr 5xw

I'm sure I missed several....

Redboy has and continues to produce his ass off and deserves recognition. I'm not a Redboy fan per say, but I just don't think a dog like him can be down played.

S_B

C'mon, The Bailey's Gr Ch Rambo is a joke.

If you're going to put The Bailey's GR CH Rambo, that's fishing

I don't know Smokin Joe 8xW ... who did he beat to be warrant him being compared with Gr Ch Da Beast and Gr Ch Sampson (both of whom faced the elite of the game)?

I don't think any of those dogs are at the level of the 3 dogs I put ... and there are more

Snakeman's Gr Ch Pedro (9xW, ROM)
    Snakeman's Gr Ch Rush (5xW)
    Johnson's Gr Ch Macho (5xW)

Smokin Joe is legit Jack. Rambo was found during my search hell take him out of the equation I'm ok with that.

And Pedro & Rush aren't "Jeep" bred nice try.

Just go ahead and add GR CH MACHO to my list, his momma is half REDBOY!!

Smokin Joe is legit Jack. Rambo was found during my search hell take him out of the equation I'm ok with that.
    Um, yes, he needs to come out.

I didn't say Smokin Joe wasn't legit ... I asked if he beat the level of dogs Da Beast and Sampson did (Champions/fellow Grand Champions)?

Just curious.

And Pedro & Rush aren't "Jeep" bred nice try.
    Um, Honeybunch was bred to Rascal's brother Oso Negro to get Pedro's mama ... making her Jeep's half-sister.

And he was bred back to Rascal to get Pedro.

That is 3/4 Rascal/Oso, 1/4 Honeybunch ... no Redboy.

Just go ahead and add GR CH MACHO to my list, his momma is half REDBOY!!
    LOL

Another thing about breeding dogs to remember, when dealing with cross-type dogs, is your first effort to inbreed might be disappointing ... but if you linebreed it back again, you get what you're hoping for

Jack, can you expand on this please?

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter Kennel View Post
    Another thing about breeding dogs to remember, when dealing with cross-type dogs, is your first effort to inbreed might be disappointing ... but if you linebreed it back again, you get what you're hoping for

Jack, can you expand on this please?
    For example, I made the outcross to Ch Big John and 4 out of 7 pups wound up quitting.

Of those 4 quitters, 2 of them were still decent dogs, Little Big John (who stopped totally exhausted at 1:39) and Siren Girl (who beat a 1xW, then a 4xW, but who then quit in 1:00 on her Championship bid, her 3rd match in 1 year)]. Siren Girl also stopped every dog and bitch on the yard of her previous owner.

Then there were 2 rank curs, Dr. Death and Anthrax, who quit in :12 and :19 on my yard to Poncho Jr. and Duke Nukem, respectively. These two rank curs had looked great on other people's dogs on their first couple of rolls, so I bred Doc back to his mother Screamer, and I bred Anthrax to his half- (and Duke Nukem's full-) sister Athena Red ... a bit prematurely, before having put them with legitimately good dogs. We also bred Anthrax to Poncho Jr.'s sister Cindy.

Anyway, after these dogs quit, I got rid of them ... and sold all their pups cheap ... but, over time, nearly every single one of these pups either won matches or passed severe game tests, one becoming a Champion, another couple winning 100% dead game (literally dying minutes after they stayed with it long enough to win), one beating Stone City in 2:12, another being so devastating and talented it prompted Killer Bees to call me and say, "That is the best dog I have seen in 15 years." Not a single dog from any of these "second-step" breedings back to my core dogs quit (though a few I never heard about after I sold them).

So my point is even the RANKEST of my outcrosses, when bred back to my core game stock, threw Champions, winners, and DG dogs in very high percentages like I'm used to getting.

Therefore, when you make that "killer cross" ... which proves disappointing at the first step (like Zebo/Honeybunch) ... don't be afraid to breed one of those pups back to one side or the other of the pedigree, because there is where the greatness may well be found, in that next step (not the first one)

Jack

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Would it be safe to assume, I'm asking you here, that if you make that "killer cross" and get some actual killers, look to take them back to the side of their gene pool they most resemble then?

I appreciate it and it explains some dogs I've seen. I've seen some great crosses on paper but didn't like one side of the breeding. The dogs would turn out like that BAD SIDE. However, I've seen those dogs taken back to the GOOD side to get 3/4 "X" and 1/4 "Y" and it pans out great.

Thanks Jack

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Would it be safe to assume, I'm asking you here, that if you make that "killer cross" and get some actual killers, look to take them back to the side of their gene pool they most resemble then?
    Of course, yes. That would go without saying: if you get fabulous results from the cross, inbreed back to each parent.

What I am actually saying, though, is EVEN if you're disappointed with the cross (since crossing is a gamble) inbreed the best-structured bitch back to the male, and the best-structured male back to the bitch, and *then* your cross may work all the more.

For example, when they bred Gr Ch Zebo ROM to Ch Honeybunch ROM, the results were mediocre nothings ... and they stopped, just dropped what they were doing and forgot about it. What I am saying is if they would have taken one of those DUD females back to Zebo ... and one of the dud males back to Honeybunch they may well have hit a gold mine either way.

I relayed my own real-world example, that worked 3-out-of-3 times. When I bred Doc back to Screamer, and Anthrax back to both Screamer's daughter as well as a Poncho/Mayday bitch, I got 100% successful competitive, winning litters ... no dog matched lost, no dog matched quit, 1 dog made Champion, 1 dog beat SCK in 2:12, 2 dogs proved dead game, all dogs produced winners ... and, again, that was breeding the *worst* pups in the litter ... let alone the best pups in the litter.

Most veteran breeders don't like to outcross much because it's a gamble. You create "more uncertainty" with crossing, whereas with line- and inbreeding (with a common style/goal) you create more certainty. The reason why taking even an average pup back to one of the great parents is because you're now creating an even greater likelihood that you'll get that "fabulous dog" again. Look at a lot of these "world beating" Grand Champions on the other page: Tornado, Titere, Vengeance all have "1/4 out" ... and even Buck is 1/8th Zebo.

So if the straight cross doesn't work, the 3/4, 1/4 cross may well be the recipe. I know it was in the Big John/Screamer breeding.

I appreciate it and it explains some dogs I've seen. I've seen some great crosses on paper but didn't like one side of the breeding. The dogs would turn out like that BAD SIDE. However, I've seen those dogs taken back to the GOOD side to get 3/4 "X" and 1/4 "Y" and it pans out great.
    Thanks Jack
    In the Zebo/Honeybunch breeding, there was no "bad side"

A person could have taken a male back to Honey, or a bitch back to Zebo, and either would have been a fabulous 3/4, 1/4 effort. I would have definitely fed one

So, I guess what I am trying to say is (for example) Bulldog Anonymous is talking about breeding Gr Ch Titere to Ch Boomslang. It is the typical "breed a Champion to a Grand Champion breeding ... that gets everyone drooling ... but, in reality, breedings like this very rarely produce "more world beaters" but just average, good dogs. They should not let this stop them!

Instead, what I am saying is, they should breed the best bitch back to Titere, and the best male back to Boomslang, and then they may well get their world beater

As another example, there was the "breeding of the decade," when they bred Gr Ch Buck (7xW, ROM) to Gr Ch Queen of Hearts (8xW) ... and do you know what they got from these two aces? AVERAGE DOGS

And they stopped there. They just made random breedings with the game palooka, Abraham's Bull. (Don't know what happened to the rest of the litter.) Again, my point is they should have bred Bull back to Gr Ch Queen of Hearts, and they should have bred his sister back to Gr Ch Buck, but they didn't. Being dog matchers, they didn't know how to breed, they shied away from inbreeding, so they "stopped" going forward with the effort to KEEP that badassness. (At least by going straight back to Buck or Queen.) However, when they made a breeding of Bull to Ch Sunshine (bred very much like The Queen) they got Ch Freak Nasty.

The fact is truly badass dogs are very often HIGHLY inbred/linebred animals (Gr Ch Buck, Gr Ch Zebo, Gr Ch Tornado, Gr Ch Vengeance) ... and very often the first cross isn't the one that produces that great dog, it's the next step, the bringing it back to one key side of the pedigree again, that creates the world-beater.

Just giving something to think about to those looking to breed to "a world beater" ... don't forget to do it again

Wouldn't you like to see 3/4 Buck, 1/4 Queen pups? Or 3/4 Queen, 1/4 Buck. (Or Zebo/Honeybunch?) I know I would.

Jack

This is a great post and I’m mad I’m late to the party, but I did want to comment on a few things I was told about some of the gentlemen’s dogs listed in this post. I know the Zebo x Honeybunch breeding didn’t work like thought, but many of them were also utterly wasted in an accident. There was 1 or 2 I think that were kept and they were bred for a while and old rumors are the male was producing some really good dogs. I don’t think the folks who had them ever had a thought of giving them a shot to earn their keep simply because of the parents.

With Bull is a misunderstanding that he was just some average dog, he was everything besides average in what I was able to see. He was everything between his parents but didn’t carry the mouth that his mother did. He was an extreme finisher, and he was a very powerful dog. He had great style and was a good head dog and when he got you down he finished you. He had about a 7 mouth but was as strong as a dog you would ever touch and smart. He also turned out to be one heck of a producer, he had a few siblings who didn’t get a shot because soon as they hit the hands of others, they were retired before their puppy teeth fail out.

The breeding of Bull x Queen wasn’t done because, 1. time ran out and 2. they had bred Queen and her powerful barnstorming style to mostly Slick dogs who were all winners and had produced a few dogs. The belief was really that she was just a freak of nature and wouldn’t be able to produce. She shocked and did produce but nothing close to what she was which is to be expected. They didn’t want to inbreed on her because at the time, many Boyle’s bred dogs were showing to pull up. You had good % of dogs win but not to many showed to be game, so thought was if you inbreed you going to start getting more culls than dogs worth the feed. After a few offspring showed not to have her mouth but had her strength and some very good heart they started to concentrate more on her offspring. Then Bull beat a damn good bad ass 2x up this way, having an all-out war, then he was retired. He started to get bred and after the first few breeding’s he was showing to be a decent producer. Bull got bred to many of his half-sisters and produced many good dogs. He was a ROM producer and higher. Before I left the area to go East a little bit, I know of 2 yards who had offspring off Bull (full litters) but were registering them as something else because they “didn’t want people to know the recipe” and when Edward was arrested is when the melee really started. It was a young dog off Bull who was 12 months old won he won his first over a CH in the area, by some new jacks and it shocked everybody. Well the guys they beat who are pretty well known, bought the dog off these young guys and changed his ped and won his titles under a brand new pedigree and that was the story for several. Most said they changed it because they didn’t want to be associated with Edward after him being arrested.

The breeding of Bull back to his sisters were the best and when they took daughters off that blood and bred to Bull again were also real good breeding, and Edward also had other dogs off Buck that he bred to Bull and a son of Bucks who was a real good dog and he was bred to some of those daughters to Queen and they produced excellent as well. When they bred those back to Bull the results were unreal. It was Double Buck & Double Queen and the offspring were amazing. Bull really started to produce great when bred to Eli bitches and Boomerang bitches, that’s when they were getting the offspring that resembled and showed off like Buck & Queen. There were 2 famous sons of Bull in the area that were like reincarnations of Queen herself, one mad Ch. and the other only 1 or 2x before Ed was sent away. It’s still some of that blood around, but not like it used to be, some is on the West Coast with another friend and some still in the area but he did produce a lot more than folks would know and without proof of pics or the internet it’s hard to prove it. Those in the area know a lot about what went down, Bull and his offspring had a chance to really get on the map as the % were outstanding but as is life.