Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mixing other breeds?

I never realised there was a second page of posts here before I posted that lol, bit of a random post but hey it's a true story lol

I will say growing up in the south it is not unusual to see a yard with diferent breeds.Most southerners take hunting very serious..After the civil war good dogs helped put food on the table weather it was gambling money or a good coon dog treed a coon .I have been running deer with black and tans,walkers, redbone all my life and its a great tradition that's been in my family for a long time.So a guy that has different breeds on his yard don't mean much to me .

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    It's a well put together book, but its only worth is the fact it's a pit bull book with pictures.

It's basically a novice with a dog named, "Tuffy Morochito," telling you all the stupid things he did with his dog, and pontificating about his "theories" about breeding ... though he himself never bred a single noteworthy animal.

If you want to add it to your library, hey, it's another pit bull book. And there are some nice old photos in it.

But that's about all that it is ...

Jack
    Thanks Jack.

Exactly my point from above. Our yard was coon hounds on one side (Redbones and English Red Ticks) and beagles on the other side (Shake and Kawliga). Through the woods to the bottom, bulldogs staked out all over.

Back then it seemed everyone within walking distance had hunting dogs. All kinds. Back then loading up dogs was the first step in filling up a freezer. EWO

Quote Originally Posted by bamaman View Post
    I will say growing up in the south it is not unusual to see a yard with diferent breeds.Most southerners take hunting very serious..After the civil war good dogs helped put food on the table weather it was gambling money or a good coon dog treed a coon .I have been running deer with black and tans,walkers, redbone all my life and its a great tradition that's been in my family for a long time.So a guy that has different breeds on his yard don't mean much to me .

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    Exactly my point from above. Our yard was coon hounds on one side (Redbones and English Red Ticks) and beagles on the other side (Shake and Kawliga). Through the woods to the bottom, bulldogs staked out all over.

Back then it seemed everyone within walking distance had hunting dogs. All kinds. Back then loading up dogs was the first step in filling up a freezer. EWO
    I totally understand EWO nothing like waking up early and grounds frosted over and hounds screaming because they know it's time to go hunting ! Use to give me butterflies when I was a kid and I still get very excited lol.

I had a younger person stop by a couple years ago and bragged what a good catch dog he had ...I said good deal do you have any scent hounds ? no ! Well point of story is u have to find the hog first ! so this is why u will see different breeds on a yard in the south !

Only did the hog hunting things twice. They had these 'strike dogs' which were mixed up plot/cur/walker looking dogs. We moved in a little closer with a couple of American Bulldogs. It was quite impressive. As intense as it is at the very moment of the catch, the dogs work very well together. I was surprised.

I know a guy around here that has deer hounds, fox hounds, beagles and coon hounds all on the same farm. I bet he feeds thirty or forty.

So around here multiple breeds on the same yard is nothing new, real close to being common place. EWO

Had a man tell me his coon dogs were the best around these parts so I threw some firewood on the back of his truck and said lets go.I take him to a good spot ,so I get the fire going and he released the dogs it was dark and cold..So about 45 mins go by and I said they should have found one by now ! All the sudden I hear something behind us and it was one of his 2 hounds yawning and stretching lol! They came back and were alseep by the truck.Nothing to do with anything just a funny story.