Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: E MILL KEEPS

Re: E MILL KEEPS

With mill or no mill , they will both get the job done . But i like the fact that with a flirt pole you can get one hot faster than you can witg a mill jmho. And its also not just flurting the dog and putting him up, and the same goes for the mill. You have to know what you are doing in order for uou to be in descent shape . Theres a purpose for everything from the food to the workout and even the schooling, it all plays a part . This is one of my favorite topics on hounds . Alot of you have posted great information. Btw i learned the hardway on conditioning. Its a bad feeling when they do their part and you came up short on your end.

STORMY

Re: E MILL KEEPS

true NOSEY PEOPLE are those worst especially if you on a daily schedule .

Don't ever use an emill as the main way to work your dog. It doesn't work his body whatsoever but only his legs, as he is only moving those parts when the belt is turned on. I just don't see any reason for an
    Emill except to turn it on and let your house dog do some light jogging on his own.
    At the recent BBQ I went to, the dog who was worked on the Emill keep ran hot in :20 minutes and never recover til he was DOA at the :50 mark. The other dog was on a natural keep with a slat mill/road work and he looked like he wasn't even breathing. I spent some time with the c/h and the losing dog during his keep and he sure does work the s*** out of that dog going hella fast and for long periods of time during each workout. He said his dog could run the emill for hours and that his dog will never run hot in the box.

When a dog is running any type of mill, it is only using it's legs whether it's a slat or an emill. Using a slat requires the dog to pull the belt around, but it is still using the legs/shoulders to run. I can't comment on what "hella fast" and "long periods of time" are to that c/h. All I can say is that if the dog ran hot in 20 minutes, it has little to do with the equipment and plenty to do with the c/h.

Equipment has never failed to get a dog in shape. The only thing that can do that is the man conditioning the dog.

Working on the Emill is strictly for the legs which include the shoulders cause the belt turns by itself. Working on the slat works the whole body except for the head.
    It could also depend on how hard or how free spinning you want the slat to be. The one pictured above is a hard turning slat cause it's got a huge belt. I could slightly tap the brake and they'll be weight pulling. I also have another mill where it's flat and free spinning where they simulate running and walking out side. I just think anytime a dog has to turn a belt with its own strength, they're using more than just their legs. But if they were hung like the dog on the e mill, then they're not really building any body strength.
    You're right about the dog running hot has nothing to do with the equipment. It has everything to do with the man working the dog. The way he chose to work the dog(e mill) and along with whatever feed he uses has everything to do with the dog running hot in :20.
    He could've done more than just running the dog on the E mill but he chose not to walk the dog or do any other type of workout. Just strictly the E mill. I done told him not to be cheap on his keep cause its a big pot. But I guess some people are just hard headed.

Wild Red Rose's brother Turbo was a thick, slow, ponderous dog ... with a devastating mouth ... and he was like a rock wall.

Other dogs would be all over him, but by about :15 to :20 Turbo would get his mouth on the other dog, and within :05 to :15 more minutes the other dog would be crippled, with arteries gushing blood out of its muzzle, armpits, and legs. It was the same story in every roll and every match ... until he was kept on an emill.

The genius who kept him on an emill did so to "put air" in Turbo, but the idiot failed to realize Turbo had great natural stamina and didn't need any help in getting more air. He fought slowly, ponderously, and economically ... and all the guy did was rail Turbo down (taking away his natural power, mouth, and body strength) and turned Turbo into a useless, weak, wet noodle ... who wobbled when you pet him he was so scrawny ... and (you guessed) Turbo lost that time around and was NOTHING compared to how he looked coming in from a slat mill and weight pulling.

Jack

Wow what a way to lose a good dog. Dogs with mouth like that is hard to come by. So far in 18 years I only had 1 dog (Amos1xw1xldg)with a freak mouth like that and campaign another one
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Who belonged to a friend of mine. I remember for Chicos first I used an E mill cause it was so hard to work him. Luckily I also realized the E mill wasn't doing much and he was a better road worker. The only problem with road work was that he would work the heck out of whoever that was walking him. He was strong as an ox and no matter how hot he got, he's not stopping til we get home.
    Some people just don't realize with a hard biting dog, that dog actually need to be at their highest peak weight.

What constitutes a dog's highest peak weight? And why does a hard biting dog need to be there?

While the two incidents that are given seem to be a good reason as to why a person shouldn't use an e-mill, in the end, if the person doing the conditioning doesn't have the proper know how on how to use the equipment or in conditioning in general, you can expect such results from ANY conditioning device.

On a E-mill the belt moves the dogs feet, while on a slat or carpet mill the dogs feet move the belt.

I agree with FrostyPaws as its not the equipments fault, but the H/C who did not know how to properly use that particular equipment and not knowing how to utilize it to its maximum benefits.

Always thought this was a great debate!