Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ECONO RAW FEED PROGRAM

I agree EWO, some cheap grocery store feed that Is regular grade is 100x better than some Kibble. The food is still edible enough for human consumption so I'll take that all day long over some heat dried food.

When I had the Fila Brasileiros a number of years ago I did this co-op thing where we bought in bulk and split the meats up. It worked for awhile til a few of the tree huggers found out my dogs did more than sleep on the couch all day.

Anyway, if a group can get together without a huge inconvenience feeding raw can be even cheaper. Two or three or four can buy damn near a whole cow and get it all butchered. They like it when you want everything, including the hide. Less clean up and disposal for them.

When feeding raw is sourced, and storage space is available, it can be cheaper, even way cheaper than even the bo-bo brands of dry food. We were given the stuff the butcher normally tosses, so add that to the per pound price for what we were paying for and it drops drastically. In the early 2000's the weighted average of the meats was like $0.25 per pound for red meats, and about the same for chicken. Most everything is eaten from a chicken. But cow bones are normally tossed. Take the trimmings in a box and the price per pound drastically falls.

It was cheaper for me than dry food. More of an inconvenience and more time consuming but those were outweighed by the benefits.

The biggest benefit is that there is no transitional issues from daily feed to keep feed when the work is ramped up. You don't have weight fluctuate a pound or two based on shitting thru screen wire on the drastic upswing from crappy food to good food.

EWO