Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why the Jenny?

In the end, running on a mill is different from running on the ground.

When a dog runs a mill, his feet "move a belt" ...

When a dog runs on the ground, its feet/legs propel its whole body forward ... and that is a BIG difference as to what is happening to the animal's musculature and (therefore) overall condition

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    In the end, running on a mill is different from running on the ground.

When a dog runs a mill, his feet "move a belt" ...

When a dog runs on the ground, its feet/legs propel its whole body forward ... and that is a BIG difference as to what is happening to the animal's musculature and (therefore) overall condition
    Here's my question. I have a hard turning slat mill on a slight incline. What is the explanation for the dog moving from the back to the front of the mill?

No one is saying there is an absolute lack of propulsion forward on the mill. There is work there. With a hard turning mill on the incline if the dog is only slightly faster than the mill he will move to the front. If he is slightly slower the hook up will get tight the other way.

Same with us on an escalator. If we ride it up there is no real output other than standing upright. If we run up the escalator we get there faster but with less work than if we ran the steps generating our weigh forward/upward. If the walking surface is moving (escalator/treadmill/slat mill) there is not the same amount of propulsion required to generate movement forward.

That goes for any mill of any type. Any time the dog is carrying his weight and propelling his weight and the time/distances are the same the dog propelling his weight will benefit more. EWO

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    No one is saying there is an absolute lack of propulsion forward on the mill. There is work there. With a hard turning mill on the incline if the dog is only slightly faster than the mill he will move to the front. If he is slightly slower the hook up will get tight the other way.

Same with us on an escalator. If we ride it up there is no real output other than standing upright. If we run up the escalator we get there faster but with less work than if we ran the steps generating our weigh forward/upward. If the walking surface is moving (escalator/treadmill/slat mill) there is not the same amount of propulsion required to generate movement forward.

That goes for any mill of any type. Any time the dog is carrying his weight and propelling his weight and the time/distances are the same the dog propelling his weight will benefit more. EWO
    I dont see how running up an escalator that is already going up is the same as any kind of mill. Dogs dont move in the same direction as any mill they are working.

Just for the example, if we go up the escalator that is coming down that would be the same as the dog moving the belt in the opposite direction. Instead of a person pressing down and propelling his weight upward and outward to the next step the step moves away from the foot. On the ground a dog, or on actual steps, a person must generate the power to propel himself/herself forward.

An avid runner will tell you there is tons of difference between running on a tread mill and running down a road. Same with the dogs. EWO

I agree that there is a difference between natural running and running on a mill that is level with the ground. I dont think either escalator example is the same though. But did you say there is propulsion on a hard mill on an incline.

There is propulsion on a mill on an incline and when level. EWO