Thread: How long for shoulder injury to heal?

How long for shoulder injury to heal?

My young gyp pulled a muscle in her shoulder a few weeks ago and while I have tried to rest her, she is still limping.

She is a ball chasing maniac and that is how I keep her in shape. I've been throwing a ball for her for a couple of years now and it works well. I usually run her with the ball twice a day, I let her run around a bit to warm up before we start in on the serious ball chasing. She runs very hard for it and I had her in good lean hard shape.

Until she fell in the drainage ditch! A few weeks ago she knocked the ball into the ditch which had water in it, she had not done this before and I don't think she realized it had water in it until she went in after that ball. She dropped the ball and refused to go get it and that night she was limping from her right shoulder.

I rested her for a week and she was not limping so I let her chase the ball a couple times and she was limping again. Rested her another week and she was bouncing off the walls from not getting that exercise. She goes out and runs laps in the yard and is limping again.

I think she must have pulled a muscle or tendon in her shoulder from the shock of falling in the water. How long does such an injury usually take to heal? It's been hard to keep a high energy dog quiet as she is used to daily exercise. Now she's not getting it since she is still limping and I don't want this to be a permanent problem.

Any suggestions? Or should I just keep her quiet as much as possible and give it more time to heal? That's what I've been doing so far.

Here's a photo of her taken the week before she hurt her shoulder, she was in great shape --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020215.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	1365  
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

I'd say 6-10 weeks minimum SCG. If you need to exercise her get a tank and swim her.

A couple steroid shots wouldn't be out of the question imo.

S_B

Thanks for the reply. I'm down south right now so I don't have a vet here. I'll keep resting her, I had a busy few days so she was not out in the yard, now she is not limping as much.

I think you're right, her shoulder needs more time to heal. I have some prednisone somewhere, should I give her some of that? Or just try to keep her quiet? Hard to do that with a high energy young dog.

Good idea on swimming her in a tank but this one hates water. I don't think I'd get her in a tank, or in any water. She won't go near that drainage ditch at all now after falling in it.
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TENS-Unit-M...-/142666390485 I've used a few of these in the past (not this brand in particular but the therapy) and I have one I use still. I am a paraplegic and some muscles are very difficult to exercise. It is a big help and at this price it does not hurt to try. Simply shave the area that you plan on treating and follow some directions or tips from some well known sport therapists online. Also I am not sure about your hound's diet but some good B12 shots would also help. The swimming pool as the gentleman stated above would be an excellent first choice but if you cannot get to one then the elec. stimulator is good. Blessings