Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Yogurt Essential?

Is Yogurt Essential?

I've been studying up on my raw feed program and looking into what other do and it seems Yogurt is one that's just not a mainstay in a lot of raw recipes.

How essential is this and what constitutes it being a necessity and what would be present that you could eliminate it altogether?

Not trying to minimize, but rather justify ever ingredient and maximize what I feed my dogs.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

you could give a probiotic and use milk for the grain to be cooked in. would be about the same nutrition, and prolly better for the gut. I love yogurt myself but rarely give it the dogs.

No its not essential, iv never given yoghurt

Yogurt has a lot of benefits for dogs. I've fed it to my dogs for years now, and I am sure it has improved their health.

They also enjoy it too, as I tend to give a couple spoonfuls a few times a week as a treat. Kefir is also very good for them, maybe even better for them than the plain yogurt.

Yogurt and/or Kefir are also helpful to give after a round of antibiotics, they help replenish the beneficial bacteria in the intestines.

A quick search of Google pulled up many articles, here are a few links with some of that info --

http://ohmydogholisticdoggery.blogsp...-for-dogs.html

Yogurt is a natural source of calcium and it contains bacteria like Lactobacilos Acidophilus which are the natural inhabitants of the digestive tract. L. Acidophilus is a probiotic that helps in the process of digestion by inhibiting the growth of other harmful bacteria. Yogurt helps in certain gastrointestinal conditions like yeast infection, diarrhea, constipation and irritable bowel movement. It also produces folic acid and niacin which are important vitamins in pregnancy of humans as well as dogs.

Benefits of yogurt for dogs are:

• Enhances the immune system
    • Changes the microflora of the gut
    • Reduces cholesterol levels
    • Reduces incidence of yeast infection

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/yogurt-for-dogs.html

Yogurt for Dogs

There has always been a growing interest in using natural food products for dogs. One of them is yogurt, which not only helps in the better digestion of food, but also aids in treating various dog ailments.

Yogurt is a natural source of calcium, protein, potassium, and magnesium and also contains healing bacteria, like Lactobacillus acidophilus, which is the natural inhabitant of the digestive tract. It produces folic acid and niacin, which are important vitamins and also helps to keep your dog's digestive system clean and running in an optimal and worthy manner.

Yogurt is known to help reduce gas and intestinal disorders, improve the consistency of solid wastes, control anxiety, and boost overall health care. During summers, feed your dog some frozen plain yogurt; it actually serves as a nice treat to soothe your pet's gastrointestinal (GI) system. However, it must be given in moderation and on every alternate day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This site seems to be more of an advertisement for Purina's Fortiflora probiotic but it also had some more info --

http://www.azvets.com/can-dogs-eat-yogurt/

THE BENEFITS OF YOGURT

You should select yogurts that contain live bacterial cultures, also known as probiotics or good bacteria, which assist in your dog’s digestive health. Greek yogurt is more concentrated than traditional yogurt, and it contains a slightly higher amount of the beneficial probiotics.

The specific organism is called acidophilus, and its key role is to keep a healthy balance of good bacteria in your dog’s intestines while keeping the bad bacteria to a minimum.

When your dog takes antibiotics to fight an infection, one unfortunate side effect is that the drug kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. Offering your dog yogurt several hours after he takes his medicine will help to replace some of the good bacteria.

The probiotics also fight yeast infections, which are not uncommon in young, growing puppies or in dogs that are plagued with recurrent ear and skin infections.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    And some info on Kefir --

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...t-hello-kefir/

Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt such as Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species. It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body.

Some studies have shown kefir to ward off salmonella and E. Coli as well as having the capability to kill H. Pylori.

Kefir health benefits are vast and that is due to the 30 different strains of good bacteria and yeast present in those cloud shaped grains! The bulk of those grains are a combination of insoluble protein, amino acids, lipids and complex sugars.

Kefir is rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, B12, as well as Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin K and biotin. The main minerals present in kefir tend to be calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is more on line but that is the basics. I feed the plain full fat yogurt. I also give Kefir too when I have it. Both are good for people and dogs.
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

I feed a large tablespoon daily.

The more I study up, it seems Green Tripe provides everything Yogurt does, and more.
    Any additional input on this is appreciated.

Yes, green tripe is excellent for dogs. I feed both and feel they both give benefits. I am not sure the benefits overlap and are the same as I think the tripe has other stuff in it. And it can be hard to find "fresh" green tripe. I buy the frozen green tripe from the Blue Ridge Beef company and feed about a half pound once a month. I'll look up more on green tripe later when I have more time...

My feeling is that both yogurt and green tripe are healthful things to feed dogs and so I use both. The oils, salmon oil and coconut oil, are also very important for good health.

What else have you found in your research?
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

i feed a lot of green tripe, usually mixed with another meat, dogs certainly thrive on it. i take milk kefir daily myself and throw some into the dog mix as well, cheap and easy to make, once you have the grains , you've got a constant and growing supply.

Yogurt is definitely beneficial but not essential.

The raunchy forever lasting impression of Tripe, makes me never want to experience that again lol. I'm cool with using the tablespoons of yogurt lol..