Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a different kibble.

Looking for a different kibble.

Do any of you have any recommendations on a kibble worth feeding? I'm feeding Victor 24/20 and have been for several years with the exception of the times I went RAW. I'm just not happy with Victor anymore. They have gotten like every other feed company in my opinion when it comes to pricing themselves right out of the hunting dog market. I've also noticed numerous dogs wanting to eat dirt and grass for the past year. I'm not the only one either, a good friend of mine has been seeing his coon dogs doing the same thing on Victor. I think something is out of balance with the feed or it's lacking something. What are y'all feeding that you feel is a good feed for the money and your dogs do well on it?

When I feed kibble, wellness was my go to. Hardly no recalls if any. Hard stool great skin and coat,didn’t require much to maintain weight. Just the regular chicken formula in the purple bag.
    LOYALTY BEFORE ROYALTY !!!

It looks good but it is priced at $55 for 30pounds here. I'd be money ahead to go RAW. Thanks for the reply.

currently feeding sportmix and I change formulas with the seasons get it delivered by chewy.com just ordered 3 40 lb bags of the wholesomes fish formula for show season 91.00 shipped to my door not a bad deal as always chicken is in their diet when I can find it cheap

https://www.diamondpet.com/our-brand...-rice-formula/

I haven't fed any Diamond feed in years but after looking at this particular model, it scores a perfect five star rating on the dog food advisor page. My 24/20 high energy Victor only scores a 3.5 star rating. I also priced this model of Diamond at my feed store and it will cost me 5 cents a pound more than what I'm currently paying for Victor. I'm gonna give it a go and see if the dirt and grass eating stops. Thanks for the replies guys.

Fromm has worked well for me.

The Victor hi-pro plus is a good kibble. 30/20. And CanineX by sports mix is a good kibble. It's grain free and it's 32/25

I was mixing Diamond Naturals with Victor and then with Canine X beef. I think that I am going to stick with Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice formula. Small amount of stools and dogs look great on it. I also have a couple of days where I feed chicken quarters (mostly on rainy days). Victor just doesn't seem to do the same thing for my dogs as they did in the past. Tried a raw diet but my work schedule (12-hour days) doesn't allow for the proper prep time.

I tried the Diamond naturals extreme athlete chicken and rice formula for for about a month. I wasn't happy with the stools. Some were fine but others just kept shitty mush piles and it stinks up the yard. I agree with you BONEDADDY, the Victor isn't the same feed as it use to be. From what I can find, Victor started using a cheaper protein source in the form of blood mill. Blood mill is used as a plant fertilizer but from what I've seen it's not popular to use in a dog food. Anyway it's something to consider when you realize Victor feed has changed from what it use to be.

https://www.pminutrition.com/product...ice-exclusive/
    I've been feeding this feed for a month or so and it is so far everything I'm looking for in a kibble. It's pricy and can only be bought at feed stores and co-op type stores like Victor but if you have access to it then I'd recommend giving it a try. PMI offers a deal to where for every 8 bags you buy, you get the ninth bag Free! I pay $36.32 per #35 bag which is more than Victor or Diamond but I'm getting better results and I don't have to feed as much because it tends to hold my dogs weight better.

I use Buddy Boy 24/20. It keeps the dogs up, good stool and such.

I add a lot of chicken to their diet so the 'keeps them up' is aided quite a bit. It is seldom the dog food alone, it is the additives that can make a cheaper bag food more effective.

The Buddy Boy is $22.50/50lbs here in NC.

I have never checked reviews so I ma not sure what they would say. I would think at $0.45 a pound it falls into the flavored cardboard category.

I fed Buddy Boy many years ago and was well satisfied but the distributor moved to a new brand. I jumped brand to brand trying to feed a lot of dogs for as less money as possible, and still 'keep the dogs up'.

I could never get a solid stool with the Diamond brands, and there was Nutrena brand here that was the same. There was a brand called Chestnut Mountain and it worked very well and was even cheaper, but in rural areas you are at the mercy of what the guy who buys it by the truckload and re-sells. His flavor has to be your flavor or the search continues.

Black Gold was one I liked but I had to drive about an hour or so to get a pallet. It got to be more that I wanted to deal with at the time, but the dogs did well on it.

EWO