Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

I have a pup that I purchased from a yard in Tx .... when I got the pup the transporter said he had saved the best looking of the 3 he delivered for me. This pup will not gain any weight! He is almost 4 months old and looks like I never drop an ounce of food down for him. The breeder mentioned loosing several pups etc and didn't know from what. I might get weight on him for a week and then bam right back down to nothing. I am feeding Purina Pro Plan, he's on a fatty supplement daily, he's wormed regularly all shots up to date. I am lost? I even ran a round of antibiotics through him.

Take the pup to a vet. Unfortunately they'll do a bunch of unnecessary tests just to run up the bill. They teach them that at school. No joke.
    Alternatively, try PPP Salmon and Rice (high in cals), Dyne and add some pumpkin puree to prevent constupation. Mix with warm water.

Did the breeder mention losing several pups for no apparent reason before or after you sent your money away?

Quote Originally Posted by brasso View Post
    Take the pup to a vet. Unfortunately they'll do a bunch of unnecessary tests just to run up the bill. They teach them that at school. No joke.
    Alternatively, try PPP Salmon and Rice (high in cals), Dyne and add some pumpkin puree to prevent constupation. Mix with warm water.

Did the breeder mention losing several pups for no apparent reason before or after you sent your money away?
    After payment was sent.

How's your pup doing?

Quote Originally Posted by brasso View Post
    How's your pup doing?
    He's actually very active, good appetite and full of energy which makes it even more puzzling

Quote Originally Posted by missip73 View Post
    I have a pup that I purchased from a yard in Tx .... when I got the pup the transporter said he had saved the best looking of the 3 he delivered for me. This pup will not gain any weight! He is almost 4 months old and looks like I never drop an ounce of food down for him. The breeder mentioned loosing several pups etc and didn't know from what. I might get weight on him for a week and then bam right back down to nothing. I am feeding Purina Pro Plan, he's on a fatty supplement daily, he's wormed regularly all shots up to date. I am lost? I even ran a round of antibiotics through him.
    Out of curiosity.. how much does the pup weigh?
    What exactly are you using to de-worm it and at what dosage and how long?

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    Out of curiosity.. how much does the pup weigh?
    What exactly are you using to de-worm it and at what dosage and how long?
    He is under 20lbs and I use Drontal Plus (twice) this month along with a Milpro heart worm tablet with intestinal worm control in it. I also have use a liquid that is a liquid version of Drontal. He was worm last month with Synanthic 3 days in a row @ 3/4 cc each day.

Quote Originally Posted by missip73 View Post
    He is under 20lbs and I use Drontal Plus (twice) this month along with a Milpro heart worm tablet with intestinal worm control in it. I also have use a liquid that is a liquid version of Drontal. He was worm last month with Synanthic 3 days in a row @ 3/4 cc each day.
    I asked because a lot of times issues Occur due to improper dosage or using the wrong medication for the wrong parasites but you've covered those bases with the Drontal plus. At this point I'd probably make a visit to a good vet to have some test done. Good luck with your pup, let us know what you figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    I asked because a lot of times issues Occur due to improper dosage or using the wrong medication for the wrong parasites but you've covered those bases with the Drontal plus. At this point I'd probably make a visit to a good vet to have some test done. Good luck with your pup, let us know what you figure out.
    We are going today. Thanks a lot and I will keep you posted.

Took pup to vet. They don't allow you to go in anymore and I specifically ask for blood work to be done, and when they brought pup out they said no bloodwork had been done. PISSED .... he was worm free, they a routine check with no reason of why the weight loss. Taking him back tomorrow for bloodwork ... I need to know