Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill Question

Treadmill Question

What's the max time you should have your dog on a treadmill?

That all really depends on your hound IMO

I have heard some say no more than 20 mi, but if your training a dog to go the distance wouldn't an hour be better?

Like i said it just depends. When u say treadmill do u mean like a electric mill? If so i think there's far better ways for the dog and alot more time constructive. A good rule of thumb is to watch his tongue never work him/her till it's hanging out the SIDE of his mouth. The front is ok.

The best way to treadmill is windsprint-rest-windsprint-rest.

The best thing to look at is not the clock on the wall, but the speed/condition of your dog.

In other words, 40 minutes of half-ass trotting with a mildly-tired dog is not as good for his condition as five 4-minute, all-out bursts of running that makes his tongue hang out to his elbows.

Interval training, that make sense....
    A 4-5 minute sprint and working on getting the recovery time down. Just like a person..
    How about a heart monitor? Does anyone know what heart rate a dog trains at?

Each mill and each dog's approach to the mill is so different that one cannot give a proper response to the question. Monitor the dog, and help him progress incrementally.

I have written numerous pieces on conditioning in the past and do not feel to do so now. Remember the paces of a show and that will guide your training. The paces are PUSH (simulated by resistance and strength training), COAST (simulated moderate paced roadwork, millwork, and other means of aerobic training such as swimming....if the dog likes it) RECOVER (simulated by rest in the workout), and EXPLODE (which is simulated by fast twitch speed training such as flirtpole work).

That is a simplifed explanation of a complex very process. If the work is too one dimensional and does not hit all of these paces, it will be exposed in a show at some point if other factors at play are reasonably equal.

R2L
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonbulldog View Post
    Interval training, that make sense....
    A 4-5 minute sprint and working on getting the recovery time down. Just like a person..
    How about a heart monitor? Does anyone know what heart rate a dog trains at?
    http://www.freewebs.com/originalbloo...0Lemm%20Jr.htm

Thanks for the reply, you have given me some good ideas.