Thread: Prey drive vs aggression

Prey drive vs aggression

Prey drive vs aggression in pups? Is it possible to have a dog high on prey drive and low on aggression.

Prey drive is agression.
    The desire to do aggression.

I ask because I have had dogs that would hit any dog big or small. Some that if a dog came close to me they would hit whoever big or small. One now only goes after this pup that is three or four months younger than him. He gets along with older dogs. When the pup runs he goes after him like lion on gazelle.

I have seen males hate males like challenge. This is more like wolves on a rabbit. Isn't prey drive a different thing.

Frank43. Sounds to me that your dog that is attacking the smaller pup is a bigger cur dog that is dominating the younger dog. Probably the way your other dogs did the same to it. They all have now found their cur picking dominance. Like a pack of cur coyotes or wolves. Yes, Coyotes and Wolves are curs. They live by the law of the pack. Deep gaminess would get them all killed in a wild environment lifestyle. A deep game Coyote/Wolf/ or even a A.P.B.T. would not last long after going head on into a Grizzly Bear or even a Black Bear etc.

Now in dog men terms. A first time or so aggressive dog is just a dog that shows a hyper desire to get at another dog or animal. Will be growling and squealing/pulling and snatching to get at the other dog. Making a big ole fuss. Mr. Teal would say turn that Killer loose. Nine times out of ten these type dogs were just curs when the other dog started putting the heat on them.

Another type of aggressive dog is one that will bite the hand that feeds it or any other human person. Just another type of cur. Best put down. Old timers did so, and Mr. Teal told me to never own or keep one.

Now prey drive is like what Mayfield said about Tomb Stone. This dog just showed his gaminess and desire to get it on. Was planning to hang around till death do we part.

Another intense type of prey drive is one like Mayfield's Pit General had. Pit General saw its opponents as lunch.

Now there is one more type of dog that is a Territorial type of dog. One that loves its owner and immediate family. But while on the chain will not allow a stranger to approach them. To try and steal one would be a bad idea. Still a fence should be built around such a dog if proven game. To prevent any type of accident from happening. Some dog men will put those dogs down as well. This runs in some of the Tudor descendant type dogs.

I hope I have answered your question. If you take these dogs of yours out as a pack around the public. I am not saying you are or have. Could cause you big problems if they pack up on a strange dog or bite someone. A A.P.B.T. dog in my community was owned as a pet. Ended up biting a young girl that was visiting a friend in that home. Cost that family $80,000 dollars. Their homeowners would not cover any of the lawsuit.

Frank43, I know you care for your dogs. I believe you have said they have good pedigrees. If you can keep them all together in your home or turn two or three out together to play and exercise. These dogs are just inferior pets like an AM Staff or one of those Bully bred dogs. As that pup ages a little more be careful. He bucks up to one or more of those older dogs. They could pack up on it and kill it. Hope none of that happens. Cheers
    Last edited by CYJ; 10-07-2022 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Removed Cur bred.

Thanks for your opinion. I like the discussion. Schoolboy has a video he talks about prey drive in dogs with finish. He links to a lion that get kicked by prey and let's it go. I think it's early to label him a cur. He's a year old. Plus he's bred to the Patrick side. I think they are higher on they prey drive while the rbj side is more dog agreesion. For me the finish is on the Patrick side. The rbj go to their death. I know they don't make great pets we are getting to points where everyone needs their own space. Accidents are getting more frequent and more life and death. I don't like dumb hot dogs. I like one that start later and are hell once they get going.

I like the discussion. My Chris Kyle dog I had to separate early. His first litter is developing nicely.

I think the one pup has more of Patrick's prey drive and is young. He is more on that tombstone side by phenotype. Does that high pitch squealing. He's just young. I don't really separate them and bump them.

These aren't cur bred. They are game dogs. Bred towards the smart side.