Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Slat Mill Question

New Slat Mill Question

I recently purchased a new slat mill for my 8 month old pup she already is loving it and will run I think until she collapses if I would let her. I would appreciate any recommendations on how long and how intense I should let her work the mill. Right now we are doing flirt pole work for about 30 to 40 minutes then jumping on the mill for about 8 to 12 minutes of full speed mill work. I have been pulling her off even though she still wants to go just becuase I do not want to over do it and figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

Flirt Pole for 30 to 40 mins sounds extreme... I only mess with my younger dogs for 15 mins at a time. You don't wanna burn the dog out on anything keep it short and sweet. Use the work as a treat for the dog instead of a chore.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by APBT4LIFE View Post
    Flirt Pole for 30 to 40 mins sounds extreme... I only mess with my younger dogs for 15 mins at a time. You don't wanna burn the dog out on anything keep it short and sweet. Use the work as a treat for the dog instead of a chore.

Let a pup be a pup . At that age its just about getting the puppy used to the tools in the shed .

Got it, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Boa1277 View Post
    I recently purchased a new slat mill for my 8 month old pup she already is loving it and will run I think until she collapses if I would let her. I would appreciate any recommendations on how long and how intense I should let her work the mill. Right now we are doing flirt pole work for about 30 to 40 minutes then jumping on the mill for about 8 to 12 minutes of full speed mill work. I have been pulling her off even though she still wants to go just becuase I do not want to over do it and figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

You are doing a grave injustice to that dogs growth.. Like some people are telling you let the pup be a pup.
    Would you let a 8 month old pup that looks like it would love to roll with an older dog that's possibly even a multiple winner or Ch.? Makes no difference to that 8 month old if it's an adult that is fully started or a Ch. Dog the damage will be done, psychologically and physically let alone the anguish it may feel if it's been hurt the next time you want to face it with another charge. It will phukk with the dog's mentality...
    Yes, some are just awesome no matter what but dog toy want to find out the hard way or the correct way.

Long story short, 9 month old turned on a crazy to go, a lab crosses paths with her and she just goes ape shyt on her happy as a pig in shyt within seconds the Lab is screaming bloody murder the dogs are split apart. Result ?
    That bitch never bit another dog againcleft down for 7-8 mins in the end thinking (HOPING,PRAYING) maybe she'll take hold of the dog chewing on her, all when did was cower dog, no barking, crying, protesting just taking the beating.
    Finally realised she was startled when she heard that other dog cry and just couldn't bite another dog again...
    So think long and hard how you handle your young ones... No matter the race, breed colour or creed.
    Been there, seen that ....and still learning something new with these dogs all the time.

The total length of times is a bit much but the introduction to the young dog is invaluable. A puppy is never too young to start being imprinted with being a worker.

Make it a game as a puppy and in time it can become his passion. From there the dog will never know he is putting in work.

I put puppies as young as 8 weeks on the mill. Some of them even turn it. Some I just feed up there. I flirt pole as young as 8 weeks to build upon drive.

Again. Make it a game and keep it short. And keeping it short usually makes them want it even more.

EWO

@EWO
    I agree with most of your remarks, making it fun with the dog, short bumps etc. But 75 to 90 %if they are their dog Kuching
    ass they may leave them down longer than need be and in the end may have regretted it. Or worse yet, their dog is getting three wrist of it but in flurries so he is thinking, any minute now and the minutes get longer and he's dog is getting a bad betting even while on top and he may have been a gamer dog you thought he was and never said a peep until now at 45 mins he just drops. Exhausted winded and no more bite left in him.
    He is never got to repeat that again.
    Just my thoughts....

No doubts.

too long and too much of anything can be bad. Especially with young dogs and even more so with puppies.

EWO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NJuJn_1Jg

When I was building a turn table this puppy was in and out of my feet and pretty much worrying the crap put of me. I put him on the table and he started running it like he actually knew what he was doing. I am guessing he is 10-11 weeks old. I started him on the table from that point on and gave him two and three minute trips on the mill.

Funniest thing is that he had all the tools and equipment down to a science. Freal type athlete, freak strong, and on the mills and table could just about breathes underwater. He was about 3/4 Red Boy. As luck would have it, I got my hopes up and was pretty high on him. Ice cold. Not one aggressive bone in his body. I don't think he would ever even defend himself, LOL But he was a worker. LOL,

EWO