Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Hughes and Holcomb?

Who is Hughes and Holcomb?

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=2891

I always wonder who these guys were. Did this family die off? Ch yellow John before the cross to jocko. It seems like crews was the only one to keep it going and separate. He combined it with the cottingham Sheba blood. He still has yellow/cottingham blood. Keep wondering if there is a cabin somewhere in the Carolina's with dogs off this out there.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...hp?dog_id=2277

Ch yellow John and triple ott red were out that same breeding.

I only know one other person with this that has it crossed into cottingham buck blood.

Holcomb was from Florida but he mostly used Eli, Boomerang, Bullyson dogs. Big Carver dog fan.

Some of the dogs from these type dogs ended up in the Whitley family and then another route was the breedings to the Medlin Outlaw family via Schnatterly's Rabbit/and the doubled up dogs from Medlin's George.

This blend was rough and game and for the most part bred true. The kicker is that this family was not peddled hardly at all. It is not all that popular and there is not much of it left because it was mostly bred to fill chain spots vs. breeding to sell puppies.

EWO

You can tell. I lucked up in to getting some.

Interested in the pedigree.

EWO

J. Holcomb was the one that had the Carver dogs. He bought some of the first dogs that M. Carver started selling. I did meet him down in Florida not long before he got started in the Carver line of dogs. V. Jackson's Hank beat J. Holcomb's Red Eye for Hank's second win. J. Holcomb's Red Eye was one hell of a dog and dead game. Probably one of the best Carver dogs he ever owned. Was an excellent looking black & white dog. The Ace, V.J.'s Hank dog was the sire of Rast's (Chavis' Jocko etc.) I first met J. Holcomb down in Florida he was friends with B. Davis Combine.

I believe J. Holcomb was from Georgia or later moved there. The last time I saw him was upper state S.C. I had given a young dog man C.M. a little dog off my yard called Young's Hot Boy. I believe the young dog man had won one with Hot Boy and later hooked up a show with J. Holcomb. Hot Boy was a hard charging hard biting head and mouth dog. C.M. won the show. I got to talk awhile with Jerry and that was the last time I saw him. I believe he may still be in prison but not sure about all that.
    Last edited by CYJ; 05-19-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Frank43, The Holcomb person that is in your pedigree was D. Holcomb. I knew him as well. He was good friends with V. Jackson/Powell and S. McNeil. I believe D. Holcomb had also some of the Jim Williams' Paladin dogs. D. Holcomb was quite the character and could keep you laughing. Yet at show time he was dead serious. Always showed a excellent dog and in top shape. V. J was one along with others, that helped him with how to condition/feed etc.

There is a notable dog man R. or D. Carter up in N.C. that shows in the pedigree of F. Jacob's Assassin I dogs. Carter also had years back dogs off the Cotton's Bullet line. D. Holcomb and R. Carter had a show were both dogs went around three hours or so and scratched about thirty-six or more times apiece. For as I know D. Holcomb lived in S.C. Do not know if he ever moved to Florida. Hope some of this old, dog history helps.

P.S. EWO, if you read this, I know you know of this dog man Carter. His son faced booked me some few years back. At that time, he was still living. I called him Ray. Some of the pedigrees on his dogs of old yore show D. Carter as breeder. Unless there two Carters also. Which I doubt as he and F. Jacobs were good friends and had similar are same bred dogs. He may have worked some of Franks dogs. Cheers
    Last edited by CYJ; 05-16-2023 at 04:30 PM. Reason: correction

Yes. I heard of him but never met him personally. I believe those dogs were toward the mountains but not exactly sure.

The Jacob's Assassin dog was one of the breedings where the Red Boy/Jocko-Red Boy dogs truly clicked with the Bullet blood, especially that up close Bullet blow from Bullet II.

The Assassin dog bred true, and like all did really well when bred by Mr. Jacobs and those close to him but as it got further from the source people started selling puppies.

In the late 90's early 2000's a guy from Florida bought some of the old Assassinator blood, did some crosses, and made some really good dogs. I have not heard anything from him in 10+ years I guess.

The Carter dogs from back then were the Red Boy versions that could really bite. I am not sure if he chose that as a trait but way back then, it was like a calling card. His type of Red Boy dogs were sort of the ones that made people think there was a direct link between Red Boy and Cotton's Bullet. If nothing else you can count on a Bullet dog to bite. When I first came along the Bullet dogs were known for mouth and had pretty good percentages for game dogs. I think due to selection, the Bullet family has retained the mouth over the years but gameness is not exactly their calling card.

The man, Howard C., that turned me onto the dogs as a kid in the late 70's was friends with Mr. Carter, or better said, he had a lot of respect for his dogs. Not many people truly liked HC. He was good for the dogs and good for the game, but he said things that pissed a lot of people off. DP helped me with the dogs more than anybody and he said he had been places with HC where people told him he could come back any time he wanted, but not to bring that gray headed SOB (HC) with him. That happened to me as well.

I believe one of the Bullet bred Carter dogs was bred to HC's JR dog (Red Boy son). I will have to think back and maybe even ask someone else,. but I believe the Carter version of the Bullet dogs was bred to HC's son of Red Boy, JR, maybe in the very early 80's. None of the litter worked out as the ones who were game could not bite and the biters would not scratch. Thinking back I believe that was a Carter bred female under JR.

A few years later one of those males that scratched but could not bite was bred to a female down from the Snooty/Pool Hall Red family. He was the runt male and I got him from HC for raking crap, walking dogs and hauling water. That dog never had a chance. If the match dog ran the mill at night for 30 minutes I would hang him on there for an hour when no one was around. No matter if he had ate or not, no matter the temperature. If one pulled a chain for twenty minutes mine would pull a tire for an hour. People would be happy to get as many miles out of their car or truck as I put on that dog tied to a bicycle.

Started to look back and babble.

EWO

Frank43, I do not know who the Hughes dog man is. May have been someone that knew Crews/Tant and Mr. Burns etc. Is not Mr. Lester Hughes aka Mountain Man. Someone else may know this person. Check the pedigree on other sites, may be a clue there. Will check when I get the time. Cheers

I asked crews. All he said was that he got jammed up and had to get rid of the dogs before doing time. Pure redboy dogs were hard to come by. Crews ended up with a small yard. Where he got rocky. I'm kind of a history buff. I just wonder why the dusty dog was so tight on yellow John.