Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E MILL KEEPS

E MILL KEEPS

I HEAR THERE IS ALOT OF DOGMEN AROUND THE WORLD SOLEY USING THE EMILL TO CONDITION THERE DOGS ,WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK THE WEAK AND STRONG POINTS OF A KEEP LIKE THIS WOULD BE ?

R2L

Re: E MILL KEEPS

fat bill chats about it a little on the art of victory

i dont see any preferences over a free spinning slat, or maybe if you want to simulate some slow pace hand walking?

Emill for the most part is identical to a hand walking keep. It definitely shouldn't be the sole form of exercise but works great as a part. 4-5.5mph clip at an incline for 1-2hrs works for us.

Emill can be any part of the keep a person desires. The emill can be the main focus of a keep if a person chooses it to be. Why run a dog at 4.5-5mph clip at an incline when you can work the dog up to running close to 10mph or over for 1-2hrs? I can think of a few men over the years that have used the emill as a sole form of exercise with great success. It is the same premise as individuals using slatmills, carpetmills, or catmills as the sole form of exercise. I do agree that a person should use a variety of exercise apparatus, but we all know any of the aforementioned devices can be the sole form of exercise with great results.

I used a emill for years in the past, in conjunction with other exercise equipment. I havent had use for it at all in the past few years. I believe there a couple tools to use that are far superior than a emill. JMO

I agree with R2L, Im using mine just to warm the the dogs before placing them on the slatmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Crofab
    Emill can be any part of the keep a person desires. The emill can be the main focus of a keep if a person chooses it to be. Why run a dog at 4.5-5mph clip at an incline when you can work the dog up to running close to 10mph or over for 1-2hrs? I can think of a few men over the years that have used the emill as a sole form of exercise with great success. It is the same premise as individuals using slatmills, carpetmills, or catmills as the sole form of exercise. I do agree that a person should use a variety of exercise apparatus, but we all know any of the aforementioned devices can be the sole form of exercise with great results.
    Running a dog at that speed on a Emill just isn't worth it IMO. Sure someone can if they want, they can condition a dig whichever way they like there's just a much better way of going about it. Flat out running on a slat, carpet or Jenny is a far better alternative to jacking up an Emill to WOT. But to each his own.

I thought the idea of conditioning a dog for a show was to get the dog in the best possible shape? If that is the objective, and a person can do such a thing without any harm to the dog, exactly how is it not worth it? If a person is there with the dog the entire time it's on the mill, and they are monitoring the dog's progress, to me it seems it's exactly worth it.

A dog that's able to run at 10mp for 1 hour or 2 hours even is going to be in better shape than one that can't. I think the onus is on the conditioner to prove that there are better ways to condition dogs simply because a man doesn't agree with it. I personally don't believe flat out running a slat or a carpet mill is better than an emill. While the dog does control the speed at which they run, they're not the conditioner whose sole job is to have the dog in the best possible condition for the upcoming event. So in that aspect, if the dog feels like slowing down or stopping when it's not to the dog's advantage to do so, it can. With an emill, a person can work their dog up higher and higher speeds for longer amounts of time if they have the brain power to do so.

I don't own an emill. I definitely see the benefit of having one for a variety of reasons. In the end, if the dog that was worked on the emill is in better shape than his opponent that was worked a variety of ways, I'd say it was worth it. Ultimately, the choices of one's conditioning methods will be tested within the squared walls of truth. However a person chooses to condition their animals, I hope they're doing it right, emill or not.

If you are running a dog at 10mph for 1 or 2 hours at a time on a mill you are messing him up bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Crofab
    I thought the idea of conditioning a dog for a show was to get the dog in the best possible shape? If that is the objective, and a person can do such a thing without any harm to the dog, exactly how is it not worth it? If a person is there with the dog the entire time it's on the mill, and they are monitoring the dog's progress, to me it seems it's exactly worth it.

A dog that's able to run at 10mp for 1 hour or 2 hours even is going to be in better shape than one that can't. I think the onus is on the conditioner to prove that there are better ways to condition dogs simply because a man doesn't agree with it. I personally don't believe flat out running a slat or a carpet mill is better than an emill. While the dog does control the speed at which they run, they're not the conditioner whose sole job is to have the dog in the best possible condition for the upcoming event. So in that aspect, if the dog feels like slowing down or stopping when it's not to the dog's advantage to do so, it can. With an emill, a person can work their dog up higher and higher speeds for longer amounts of time if they have the brain power to do so.

I don't own an emill. I definitely see the benefit of having one for a variety of reasons. In the end, if the dog that was worked on the emill is in better shape than his opponent that was worked a variety of ways, I'd say it was worth it. Ultimately, the choices of one's conditioning methods will be tested within the squared walls of truth. However a person chooses to condition their animals, I hope they're doing it right, emill or not.
    Simply because the gait would be much more unnatural and a chance for an accident much higher with an emill ripping away at that speed. Have you ever conditioned a dog using this method?