Thread: Canine red cell

Canine red cell

Has anyone had any success with this product?
    https://www.jefferspet.com/products/...FQKoaQodvUIBPw
    Creek Bottom

Creek,

A buddy of mine use to feed Field Trial dog food, white rice and red cell in keep. He had a damn good record and competed with some of the best. I think there are better sources out there to get your vitamins, but it's a good product. Especially if you've got one sick with Babesia.

S_B

Thanks for the response S_B. I picked a bottle up at the feed store the other day and thought I would try it out. Seems to have a lot of good stuff in it I figured it couldn't hurt.
    Creek Bottom

I use it as an add in vitamin...maybe a cc or 2 twice a week...seems to do them well. I've been using it for some time now with no problems, however I've been told there's better products available...I still keep.it around...

Back when the Field Trial was on the market, was that Red Cell for horses? or for Canines?

Back then we used Red Cell but it was for horses. We also used Clovite Conditioner along the same lines. Looking back I wonder how effective it was based on dosage. It was blended for a 1100lb. horse. Back then the guy said 'a tablespoon or two'. I wonder now if that was two or three hundred pounds or so?

The Field Trial brings back memories as well. Back then I remember it being $6/50lb. It had chunks with some feathers. But it was the best thing going in the 70's when there were a lot of dogs to be fed.

EWO

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    Back when the Field Trial was on the market, was that Red Cell for horses? or for Canines?

Back then we used Red Cell but it was for horses. We also used Clovite Conditioner along the same lines. Looking back I wonder how effective it was based on dosage. It was blended for a 1100lb. horse. Back then the guy said 'a tablespoon or two'. I wonder now if that was two or three hundred pounds or so?

The Field Trial brings back memories as well. Back then I remember it being $6/50lb. It had chunks with some feathers. But it was the best thing going in the 70's when there were a lot of dogs to be fed.

EWO
    It had to be just for horses, I used it a little also about 15 years ago and I don't even remember a dog formula until more recent times. Just a "squirt" is what we used and that's it!

He also told me he fed Alpo canned when it was made with horse meat. He made several CH'S and was in the thick of very good dogmen. The food isn't what it was then, sure some formulas are better now but you've got to spend an arm and a leg to buy it. No such thing as a cheap yard feed these days.

I remember the occasional feather, also remember there was a ton of bone meal in the feed,. It would turn white in a few days and then powder. LOL

S_B

I remember filling a 5 gal bucket part of the way with food and all the way with water. Within a short time it would be mounding over, a 5 gallon bucket of mush. The texture of cheap canned food. In the summer it was filled by the water hose. In the winter warm water from the barn. I can't remember the size of the scoop but it was scoop per dog. Between the beagles, the coon hounds, the three bird dogs and 20 or so bulldogs it took 10 gallons of feed to feed all the dogs.

I am thinking it called for table spoons but I can see us just pouring a shot here and a shot there of the Red Cell. Thinking back we were more than likely over doing it with that and the Clovite.

It is wild how feed has changed over the years. Old fellow that lived down the road had hunting dogs, beagles and hounds. He ran a chicken house for a living. After candling the eggs the ones that were not seeded were fed to the dogs. Some days it would be 10-12 dozen or more. He would cook rice in a big pot and then would soft boil them in the big stew pot. Let them cool and mash them shells and all. He would throw the dead chickens in there ever so often.

Dogs ran great, looked slick as a button and the only down fall they could shit thru screen wire. Once the runny shit matted down in the chicken feathers it was easy to rake. LOL

I think about how I feed mine now and think some of the dogs back then should have just fell over and croaked.

EWO

All of that just goes to show how dogs can adapt to all kinds of shitty food, and yet they can still excel at their task.

Ditto. Well said.

EWO

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPaws View Post
    All of that just goes to show how dogs can adapt to all kinds of shitty food, and yet they can still excel at their task.