Thread: dog houses

dog houses

Hey what do you all think about dog house for the winter. I live in ky so it gets cold like in the teens. I have been using the barrels and they haven't let me d oown yet. Im just trying to think if it was me out there. I have no tools and suck makeing anything with wood. Can some of you tell me were i can buy some well made warm ones at? Thanks in advance

Re: dog houses

Quote Originally Posted by scary
    Hey what do you all think about dog house for the winter. I live in ky so it gets cold like in the teens. I have been using the barrels and they haven't let me d oown yet. Im just trying to think if it was me out there. I have no tools and suck makeing anything with wood. Can some of you tell me were i can buy some well made warm ones at? Thanks in advance

Any ideals will be appreciated or links

I lived in TN for 6 years and barrels are fine, so long as you keep the openings small (9" in diameter) and you stuff their houses with straw, they will be fine

Jack

I live in canada and i use barrels. They work fine up to-20°. Just have canopys an small doors.
    Lots of fresh straw n' shavings mix. And your set. I got tired of building 10 houses a year cause of chewing, and urin soaked wood. I dont use flaps on the doors, cause it take you 40mins. To put on/make. And they take 30sec. To rip it off.

Get someone whos good with carpentry to build you some
    You can always find a laid off carpenter
    Make a few dual chambered insulated ones
    their heavy but worth it if your hounds are

Quote Originally Posted by Buck E. Owens
    I live in canada and i use barrels. They work fine up to-20°. Just have canopys an small doors.
    Lots of fresh straw n' shavings mix. And your set. I got tired of building 10 houses a year cause of chewing, and urin soaked wood. I dont use flaps on the doors, cause it take you 40mins. To put on/make. And they take 30sec. To rip it off.

I use wooden houses...use to have barrels, but you cant take the top off one!
    I have one barrel left and usually lowman on the totem pole gets it, honestly.
    My single chambered ones are made like this...[attachment=1:3ad2zsd4]Doghouse.jpgDoghouse.jpg[/attachment:3ad2zsd4][attachment=0:3ad2zsd4]Doghouse2.jpg[/attachment:3ad2zsd4]

Find a laid off carpenter or someone who's good with building
    see if they want to make some side money

Is that tin on the side that looks shiny?

I think its a layer of foil on the insulation scary. The board still needs to go over it.
    Nicely done Hakeem.

Is that tin on the side that looks shiny?
    no sir not tin, thats the other side of the insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    I think its a layer of foil on the insulation scary. The board still needs to go over it.
    Nicely done Hakeem.
    you are correct and thanks[attachment=0:1h1s0ncl]Doghouse3.jpg[/attachment:1h1s0ncl]
    all sides covered in this shot, front trimmed out with routerd hand rail
    hopefully to reduce friction on the chain when the dog inters