Thread: Hard time keeping weight on pup...

Hard time keeping weight on pup...

I have a 7 month old pup that wieghts 31lbs but has all his ribs showing and slightly sunken belly..
    I am feeding him raw, his daily meal is about 11 oz raw chicken, 3 oz ground beef, 2 oz chicken liver, plus a scoop of ground veggies, scoop of greek yogart, one 2 min boiled egg, a multi vitamin in a scoop of lard, and salmon oil....
    Any help will be appreciated

If he's not sick and dewormed there nothing to worry about it. Simply increase his feed and maybe feed him twice a day.

Im having an 11 month old pup 46 lbs who needs 1lbs of kibble to stay on weight. Iv had dogs in keep, same weight who ate only 2/3 of that.

It can be tough to raise a pup on just raw. But you should be able to get a little more weight on him, you don't want him fat but you don't really want his ribs showing either. Pups grow a huge amount very quickly so you want to keep that in mind.

Are you feeding him once a day? Pups should eat more than once a day. I would feed him twice a day or maybe even 3 times if you think he needs it.

Certainly up his food and add more fat, such as full fat cottage cheese, maybe even make up some Satin Balls and give him those too. (You can find Satin Balls recipe on line, it is a common thing to add weight to a dog or pup.)

Is he getting raw bone with the chicken? They really need the raw bone in the raw feed. Adding more chicken such as backs and necks should help too. I don't feed organ meats every day, just a few times a week. Coconut oil is good too, and so is the salmon oil you are giving.

Maybe even add some high quality kibble for one meal, that might help. I would rather add a good kibble than rice or other filler as at least the kibble has meat meals and vitamins in it.

Some pups just grow slower but you should be able to get a bit more meat on his bones so his ribs don't show. Is he getting exercise and time outside in the sunlight? That is good for growth and health.
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

Feeding twice per day would be the easier of the solutions. The adjust the amounts after that. Puppies are eating and shitting machines. Lots of times the assimilation is not as efficient with one meal per day. Twice per day should help. I would split your amounts in half, see if it helps and then adjust amounts. EWO

He is wormed and on a monthly Ivermectin Regiment.. Feed once a day..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150802_114259.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	1038  

Quote Originally Posted by gigam View Post
    He is wormed and on a monthly Ivermectin Regiment.. Feed once a day..
    He looks great and perfectly healthy. I do like a bit more weight on a growing dog, but you are pretty close. All of the suggestions here are great. I'd personally keep the feed just like you have it and add an additional meal 12 hours opposite the current schedule. Just meat or kibble, whichever you fancy.

Good luck!
    S_B

He looks like a very athletic pup that burns a lot of calories. Feed him more and feed two times a day until he is an adult. Then you can drop down to once a day. Definitely add some chicken backs to his diet. They have a lot of fat and also contain some organs. I wouldn't give liver every day though.

Here's a link to a raw food calculator that may help you, but your eyes should tell you when he is at the proper weight.
    http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm
    The best gamedog apparel on the net can be found here at:
    http://scratchindog.com/

Thank you All very much!.. Yes, he is getting raw bones with he chicken. I will start feeding him twice a day!.. I'll go with the chicken backs, necks, and some cottage cheese for his morning meal and his normal later in the day alternating the chicken livers to every other day!...
    All help taken and appreciated
    Thanks again, Game of Dogs