Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AnyBody feed Pork?

AnyBody feed Pork?

I just got a 55 gallon drum of meats from the grocery store (my relative is the meat departments manager so all they discard I get it). It includes : beef,turkey wings & necks,pork chops & pork steaks,chicken parts. Let's hear ur opinions on feeding pork. It was all or none,it was free so I got it. Want to start back on the raw diet.
    BSK

I avoid raw pork due to trichinella worries, I always prefer to be safe than sorry, BUT, when I stated my opinion on g-d forum, the majority turned against my thoughts with arguments like "it doesn't exist in the food production lines" or " the dogs do not get it" etc. I just prefer to spend slightly more for beef than to worry about it, but then I do not feed a big number of dogs.

It's actually spelled "trichinosis" and even if there isn't a risk for it your dog would most likely get tapeworms. Pork, squirrel, rabbit/hare all carry tapeworms. I learned the hard way. My dogs didnt have fleas so it had to of been from the wild squirrel I was feeding.

Thanks for both of your comments. I do freeze all of the meat before feeding though. This process should kill parasites. I was wondering if there is any other negatives from feeding pork.

http://www.medicinenet.com/trichinosis/article.htm
    Hei hog, it is actually the name of the parasite I posted and not the disease itself which is also called trichinellosis. Not that it matters if you get it.

I have had people "poo-poo" the idea of being worried about feeding raw pork too, but I also would personally rather be safe than sorry.

Sure, I fully understand that not every raw pork specimen is going to be afflicted with the trichina worm; in fact, I fully understand that most raw pork specimens will not. But because the potential is there, I personally just would NOT feed this meat raw. Period.

Because trichinosis 1) can be fatal, 2) is transmissable to humans, and 3) does NOT get eradicated by either standard worming meds or standard worming dosages either, I personally would never feed any raw meat that might possibly contain this worm to my dogs. It simply is not worth the risk.

Hell, for that matter, pork is actually a suck-ass meat nutritionally, so I wouldn't feed pork to my dogs over the MUCH better option of chicken anyway ... just for nutrition reasons ... let alone considering the added risk of trichinosis being in pork. (After all, the jews call pork "the unclean meat" for a reason )

And finally, if you google "trichinosis+frozen," you will also see this particular worm has a high resistance to freezing, which means you can't even get rid of this worm by freezing it. You MUST cook this meat to kill the worm. If you do a little research, because the trichina worm is found in arctic animals (which live in the coldest areas of the world), this particular worm has evolved to be able to survive long-term freezing in the bodies of dead arctic animals, even when frozen solid, so you "freezing" pork is doing NOTHING to protect either you or your dogs

Therefore, my own personal conclusion is there is no reason on earth to risk using "the unclean meat" of raw pork on your dogs, when there are far better options nutritionally (and far less risky options health-wise).

Jack

I also do not feed any raw pork, for the reasons posted above. Even freezing it does not make raw pork safe. Just not worth the risk.

But I have feed bits of cooked pork meat without the fat. I suppose if your scraps have some pork in there, you could cook it if it is meat, or just discard it all and not bother with it.

Like Jack says, there are far better meats out there nutritionally.
    Common sense isn't so common these days.

R2L
    agree 100 % with jack

I dont feed pork, like SGC said, its just not worth the risk.

Thanks to ALL of u for your help.Im going to the freezer to trash allthe bags of pork now. The pork was in the mix of all the chicken,beef,and turkey as well.Do u guys think the other meat has been affected by being in with the pork while in the container at the grocery store? There is no way I can get them not to put it all in the same container(my relative is the manager over the meat department but have others cutting and packing meat as well.)