Thread: The post match Dryup and Refill

The post match Dryup and Refill

Hello fellow Doggers, i have seen some good dogs do down after a long match and just a few key steps at the rite time would have been enough to keep them around...i want to do an article on my Dry up formula for wounds and injuries and my Refill protocol for dogs to get but their hydration and avoid kidney failure etc...

Throw out some points you want to see and ill write it up...but we usually dry up scars the same day and dogs will look fit to travel in a few days top...as well as how to rehydrate a flat out dog and keep the kidneys working.

When can we expect this? I for one would be interested in your technique on these subjects and more if you have others.

I'd be interested in these things too.

Prioritizing what needs to be done first is paramount.

We carry the chicken broth that was used in the keep. If he will drink on his own odds are he is not in shock, and there is some time to work on the outside things.

If he will not drink, or he can't drink, then fluid treatment moves to the top of the list and he will need a bag administered. I have seen some do a bag regardless, just in case.

During all of this and is seldom thought of is warmth. The dog should be in a warm environment as soon as possible.

I have seen some doctor on the tailgate, put him I the box and drive home. I remember one who RIP on the drive home and it was attributed to the show. I have always thought if he rode in the front seat he may have made it.

Interested in the thread. A good topic for FrostyPaws to drop in on.

EWO

interesting indeed! Why don't you type it up and add it to the blog section

IV Fluids should be the first thing after a show, whether they're in shock or not. That is the fastest, and best way, to rehydrate the dog and flush the kidneys so rhabdo doesn't set in.

They should always ride IN the vehicle on the way back. Anything less than that is basically stupid.

While cleaning wounds is good, that shouldn't be the priority at any case until the dog is stabilized to some degree.

yep ill be looking forward to reeding this.

are you still thinking about writing that?

Everything you need to know about post contest fluids is in Jack's book. Laid out too well to not just follow it. So easy a caveman can do it.

what ever happened to this?