Thread: Inbreeding... When to or when not to.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Inbreeding... When to or when not to.....

I would like to get some opinions as to what criteria individuals use to decide when to start breeding strictly in-house. What standards have you set to establish a base line as to how good a dog has to be in order to make the "team". Do they need to be a winner,have a good amount of a certain quality,be good tempered. I am not a veteran to the game nor do I think I have the best dogs but what mine are starting to show me has me fantastically impressed. The problem that I see right away with my being impressed is that I don't know if I am looking for the right characteristics. It goes without saying that there are certain qualities that you better have right out the gate such as...
    (In no particular order or amount)
    1) Gameness
    2) Inteligence
    3) Mouth
    4) Speed
    5) Wind
    6)Ability

What are the varying degrees of each?
    Are you willing to sacrifice a little of one to get a little more of another?

Those are a good place to start the discussion.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
    Eric

[
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -- Johann Goethe

Bump up for 2020...

It depends on the dogs and the personal experience a person has with the family.

If I go out and buy two litter mates, even if they turn out to be good dogs, they may be the exception to their family. If the rest of the family is chock full of curs then when I inbreed I am 're-breeding or re-creating' the rest of the family as much as I am the two dogs that are mine.

At the same time, if you feed'ed you can breed'em.

And if you get good results then it was worth it.

But like any breeding, only time will tell.

EWO