Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: redboy dogs

On some yards, and I will not point fingers, or call any names, but culling dogs have little to do with whether a dog is deemed a cur.

On those yards somethings are understood.

On those same yards dogs who make all their scratches do not have all the tools to win.

Those dogs are culled, regardless of pedigree.

EWO

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    On some yards, and I will not point fingers, or call any names, but culling dogs have little to do with whether a dog is deemed a cur.

On those same yards dogs who make all their scratches do not have all the tools to win.

EWO
    You think it takes all that

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post

EWO
    That is how you maintain the highest Quality

It all depends on your 'mission statement'.

If you set out to have and make winning dogs, then yes. You have to breed and select traits that make winning dogs.

From that selection process, unless you have unlimited space, unlimited time and unlimited money, some dogs have to go.

When Dog A comes along and he is simply more suited and better than Dog B then Dog A needs a chain spot. Dog B is then removed from the gene pool.

My first experience with the dogs as a kid was on a yard where the bulldog only had one purpose and that was to win matches. The rabbit dogs had to both jump and run. The coon dogs had to tree. Any dog that did not meet the standards was culled.

It was said he put down a ton of dogs other people would have loved to own. When he was out of the dogs and in his 70's he then said he wished he had bred a lot of the dogs he had, even a bunch of the ones he culled. Then in his next breath he said, but if I had gone that route, I would have not won the matches I won.

Now if the mission statement is to preserve the breed or maintain gameness or maintain a family then to reach that goal does not need a bunch of W's to be successful.

I grew up as a 10-year-old kid where a dog was either winner or on his way to becoming a winner. Anything else came up short.

The flipside is that other people pushed the Red Boy family in a thousand directions, bred a bunch of dogs and made a lot of money.

With all the history surrounding Red Boy dogs, the fact they have been and still are, the most popular bulldog in history, also factor in they may be the most profitably bulldog ever just imagine if you owned a male straight off Red Boy who was the full brother to Yellow John. Then imagine that this dog could not bite and did not have much ability and his only redeeming quality was all night scratching.

EWO

I am interested in those too. The triple ott and yellow John dogs. My other question was about the ways some people approach breeding and culling dogs. That's why I asked does it take all that. I'm not stupid or unable to accept some don't make it. My way was start with hopefully good dogs then asses what is missing or needs improving. If possible find it in something related. Inbreed on ones I wanted to fix traits. Line breed etc. my point is. I think some people do random best to best breedings then end up with litters of junk. Does it take all that. I recently did a breeding i think could be a corner stone of a family. I'm building up to it sequentially.

So now I have this guy and a sister. One is sold.
    http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=91581

They are pups but the little male feels stout to me. I call him monster. I'm excited. The out hopefully gives room to back cross to other dogs in his history.

I also believe good dogs come from any where and everywhere. The dog you )can't see the pedigree) may be the next Yellow John or Mayday or Chinaman or Zebo.

The best female I ever seen was bought out of the newspaper. She was pawned off by a knot-head to his grandmother and she could not care for the dog. The female kept getting out so she was given to a friend of mine with nearly two bags of dog food, a 10X10 pen and a nice igloo dog house. He raised her up and gave her the same shot all his 'really nice' dogs received. She rolled thru them like nothing we had ever seen. She was the most scatterbred dog I have ever seen. Name a dog from the 70's/80's/90's and it was in her. She would scratch, take hold and flop over. Thirty minutes later the standing female would fall over and then get throat checked into the after life. She planted every dog that was ever on her for more than 20 minutes. She won three times. The third time they laid two quarter bound cheeseburgers on the walk out path they gave us. She ate both of them before we realized what she had grabbed. She was over weight and I just knew she would blow hot. She checked that one out in :30.

She was bred to a dog that had produced his fair share of winners. Out of three, one was OK, one was a game plug and the other quit.

She was a freak and freaks normally do not throw themselves.

I see your point but it takes all the spokes in the wheel to keep it turning.

EWO