Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is structure to you?

Jack I pretty much agree with your selection process but I would to say that in my opinion, undershot, long bodied or straight stifled dogs aren't necessarily what I would consider defects.

Let me explain further dogs I would define as physically challenged or lacking in structure. Dogs who are extremely out at the elbows, dogs who are severely slip hocked or dogs who are severely undershot. A slightly undershot dog is perfectly fine. A long bodied dog is fine too, but to long is not good either. When these things become a hindrance during physical activity and put the dog at a handicap to me this is undesirable.

S_B

Quote Originally Posted by loot View Post
    I breed for 1 thing an that's gameness
    Understood, but if mine and your gameness is extremely close, my better structure could and most likely will be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    Jack I pretty much agree with your selection process but I would to say that in my opinion, undershot, long bodied or straight stifled dogs aren't necessarily what I would consider defects.

Let me explain further dogs I would define as physically challenged or lacking in structure. Dogs who are extremely out at the elbows, dogs who are severely slip hocked or dogs who are severely undershot. A slightly undershot dog is perfectly fine. A long bodied dog is fine too, but to long is not good either. When these things become a hindrance during physical activity and put the dog at a handicap to me this is undesirable.

S_B
    I second

I actually prefer undershot with chest dogs

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=38153

What about these little slightly roach backed dogs. they seem faster and more athletic. Is this just the dog or the structure makes them that way.

Hard to say.

Bulldogs seem to be a lot different than other breeds. In the other breeds things are a little more structured in their job description has more structure. Therefore the dogs structure play a big part of what they dog.

The bulldog may be built one way but on show night he may have to perform in a different way.

Over time you will see one with all the structure and no athleticism at all. Then his litter mate brother will be short, squatty, flat faced, and a block of a dog. He will be able to breathe underwater and go for days on end.

It is a tough call.

I like to see them when they look good but I never let that factor into their final grade.

EWO

What does structure mean to you?

How do you define it?

Structure for what exactly?

Richard Stratton wrote long ago about the varying styles that many dog men appreciated. Would every style require the same structure?

Ralph Greenwood based the confirmation standard based upon winning dogs of the day. That was his universal structural standard for judging dogs without actual performance testing. Do you agree with it? Do you understand it? Is it relative to actual performance?

So many variables to compute. Or is it?

Is it just a function of what many call the will to win, regardless of the advantages or shortcomings?

Quote Originally Posted by Osagedogman2015 View Post
    What does structure mean to you?

How do you define it?

Structure for what exactly?

Richard Stratton wrote long ago about the varying styles that many dog men appreciated. Would every style require the same structure?

Ralph Greenwood based the confirmation standard based upon winning dogs of the day. That was his universal structural standard for judging dogs without actual performance testing. Do you agree with it? Do you understand it? Is it relative to actual performance?

So many variables to compute. Or is it?

Is it just a function of what many call the will to win, regardless of the advantages or shortcomings?

which stratton book?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank43 View Post
    which stratton book?
    If I remember correctly it was The Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier. The one with the Red, Red nose Female on the cover. There is also a chapter on The Basis for Conformation also in that same book.

Quote Originally Posted by Osagedogman2015 View Post
    If I remember correctly it was The Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier. The one with the Red, Red nose Female on the cover. There is also a chapter on The Basis for Conformation also in that same book.
    thanks i think i have them all. I read them. I just don't remember that part. Sometimes you read it and it doesn't stick until you have a real life question and need expert opinions