Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is structure to you?

How important is structure to you?

I rank the structure of the dogs pretty high on the list of considerations. I may be biased as I started with several dogs that did not have good structure and since it was evident then, that structure/confirmation was something I needed to improve upon, I did.

How important is the structure of your animal when considering a breeding?

Excellent structure with deep breathing lungs go hand in hand with a dog being able to show it's gameness. Believe it was Vince Lombardi that said severe fatigue makes cowards of men or something to that effect. Mr. Tudor said, many times fatigue and heat will stop a dog quicker than punishment. He stated that proper conditioning was 85 % of the winning. Which also means you got to have a well put together athletic type dog that can be put in shape.

If all things equal. A skinny long legged, high station extreme Upside down U Chested dog. This type dog has no chest mass upfront to withstand a hard biting chest dog. Or a compact barrel chested heavy muscled dog is at a disadvantage. If pulling against a well built proportioned dog. Some of the dogs I have seen in the past and lately. That are big pound for pound in weight and bone structure. Were the Jocko/Red boy dogs, these little Vise Grip dogs and some of the best Eli/Art's Missy/Bolio bred dogs. There are others as well. Just IMHO.
    Last edited by CYJ; 02-18-2015 at 07:46 AM.

I agree. I think when it comes to ability structure is key. Movement, speed, strength and so forth are all related to structure. As in any sport, there is an "optimal" physique/build/structure that favors one athlete over the other.

Lombardi said, "Fatique makes cowards of us all" and it's true.

I believe structure is very important. I like athletic dogs square with a good box and "U" as mention. A bit sleek at body but strong in the shoulders and ass end with good bone.

Structure is very important. Personally, I breed for smarts, speed, and then strength. With that being said, I love a long-legged,deep-chested, wide reared bulldog...

I breed for 1 thing an that's gameness

Quote Originally Posted by loot View Post
    I breed for 1 thing an that's gameness
    That's a given... Stay on topic��

Proper function is proper form.

Structure is a very important ingredient in our dogs as a whole. Sure gameness is the prerequisite in selecting individuals but it will only carry you so far. You wouldn't ride a Shetland pony in a thoroughbred horse race would you? So why would you select individuals who can not perform because of physical defects that would hinder high performance?

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule as there have been many a good dog that wouldn't even get a second glance at a conformation show. But if you take those individuals with physical defects and match them with an identical specimen without defect I believe the dog with the flawless structure would prevail.

Recently I was offered to breed to a very highly inbred animal who's heart is said to be where it is suppose to. The pedigree on this animal is second to none. But the damn dog is a hodge podge of defective parts. I feel it would have been a backwards move for me so I declined. So while gameness is important, it ain't everything!

Bottom line a well structured total package animal is what I strive for.

S_B

Note: A good example of a dog who we should all be familiar with here is our very own PBBDOY GR CH TITERE 7XW! He's very well structured!

I prefer dogs with good physical structure, if possible.

However, of the 6 best dogs I have ever owned, only 2 had perfect structure.

Stormbringer was small for his weight, but THICK and POWERFUL. He had a strength all out of proportion to his size, incredible intelligence, and his build worked perfectly for him ... yet he would never have placed in a show. I've never seen a dog his weight I could imagine beating him.

Icon was undershot and had straight stifles. He whipped many dogs with better conformation, pushing weight, and with no teeth.

Missy was undershot and a little long-bodied. None of the bitches her size could make it to the :12 mark, without their owner's picking up their bitches with fractured muzzles/eyesockets, etc. ... except one guy who picked up in :21 and his bitch didn't make it to the next morning.

Jezebel was perfection Style + conformation.
    Silverback had great conformation, and was a helluva dog.

Ultimately, I breed for a style, and "something exceptional" (be that speed, strength, finish, whatever). I place a lot of stock in conformation ... but not so much that I am blind to what I am watching.

Jack