Thread: Feeding Pup Raw

Thumbs Up Feeding Pup Raw

I'm going pick up a 5 month old pup this weekend and I will be feeding raw. This will be my 1st time feeding raw to a pup of that age. I wanted to know if it would be alright for me to feed her chicken with the bone or is it too young to eat bones yet? Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thank in advance,

S_MEAUX

bump

A 5 month old bulldog should be able to handle chicken parts with no problems. I have some pups that are almost 3 months old that I give chicken backs to and what they don't finish (which is very little) I just give to another dog.

Cool deal, I'll see how she handle a wing or a leg and take it from with the usual diet. Appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by DVN View Post
    A 5 month old bulldog should be able to handle chicken parts with no problems. I have some pups that are almost 3 months old that I give chicken backs to and what they don't finish (which is very little) I just give to another dog.
    Agreed. 5 months is plenty old to eat raw naturally.

Here is a DVD clip of much younger pups eating raw, which (in this case) had everything ground up.

Jack

Guys, no shit here, but my last litter, I started on RAW at 4 weeks, all ground. At 7 weeks, I would throw in one chicken quarter (6 pups in the litter) and they would go off on that thing like a pack of wild dogs on a carcass. I let them go at it this way from that point on. Yes, they did eat bone and all.

I know it sounds like BULLSHIT, but they handled it just fine. Next time, I'll video it and shoot it up this way.

The new owners didn't really believe me. I had one pick his up in person at 9 weeks. I held off on feeding so he could see it. He never saw anything like it. Another feller had is sent to the New England area. He put her on his "good old kibble". Kept sending me emails about diarrhea and so forth. Said he thought one day, "Hell, Ferg said they were eating chicken legs at 7 weeks......so I thought I'd give it a try. I threw one her way (she was 10 mo by now) and damn man, she put that thing away in short order - I couldn't believe it"

Long story short.......5 months is WAY old enough, IMO.

I spoil my little bastards, chiken filet and skin plus the white cartilage parts, no bones till they are 7-8 months old. I had an experience with a stupid one that would go after food like mad and a bone stuck in his throat, then to the vet to remove it etc, since then I preffer to be safe. Ofcourse I am not a breeder and I only care for a pup each time, so the extra cost is not an issue.

R2L
    i start with grind meat, no need to rush. but it should be fine, just watch em eat.

Quote Originally Posted by tasoschatz View Post
    I spoil my little bastards, chiken filet and skin plus the white cartilage parts, no bones till they are 7-8 months old. I had an experience with a stupid one that would go after food like mad and a bone stuck in his throat, then to the vet to remove it etc, since then I preffer to be safe. Ofcourse I am not a breeder and I only care for a pup each time, so the extra cost is not an issue.
    Pups can get ricketts if they're given just meat with no bone ...

Jack

Ok, since I don't know what ricketts is I googled it and found something about Vit D deficiency, is this what you mean?
    If this is it, then I got it covered through cod liver oil and plenty of greek sunlight, among other things. I was just reffering to the chiken part of their diet.
    Always nice to learn something new.