Thread: puppies getting smashed ???

puppies getting smashed ???

I'm having a problem with a bitch smashing her puppies she's got rails in her box but she's like sitting on them the box is 4x4 and she is a 2nd time mother the pups are 6 days old I've lost 4 out of 11 due to this in six days i don't know what to do she has space she's feeding them she's just smashing them with her ass and legs what can I do there are no other people coming around no dogs exempt out in the yard but she's 30 yards away....could she be hiding them andsmashing them bbecause of the hounds put side making noise at each other??

Quote Originally Posted by lansford101 View Post
    I'm having a problem with a bitch smashing her puppies she's got rails in her box but she's like sitting on them the box is 4x4 and she is a 2nd time mother the pups are 6 days old I've lost 4 out of 11 due to this in six days i don't know what to do she has space she's feeding them she's just smashing them with her ass and legs what can I do there are no other people coming around no dogs exempt out in the yard but she's 30 yards away....could she be hiding them andsmashing them bbecause of the hounds put side making noise at each other??
    Sometimes too much room is no good.

I keep my bitches inside the house, in crates, when I whelp ... and only put them outside when the pups can see/walk around.

That way I can hear when something's going wrong ... (puppy scream, etc.).

Still, sometimes mamas are just stupid and will kill them with their weight before you can save them.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, I know it's disheartening to lose pups.

I just experienced this same thing. The bitch is overprotective of her pups. I had my bitch inside the house in a 800 kennel (Extra large) and I slept by her day and night for 4 days straight constantly rearranging her when she laid on them. I myself scolded her a bit in my impatience, being very seep deprived. I believe it helped her understand that I was not happy with her plopping herself on them.

Eventually when she would plop down on them and they cried out as soon as she heard my sigh and saw me getting up she began to arrange herself off of her puppies. If the litter is important to you like mine was to me you'll do whatever it takes to raise them all. I lost 1 pup on the second day but it was weak from the start. All of the remaining 6 are doing great and almost 12 weeks old now.

Good luck!

S_B

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    I just experienced this same thing. The bitch is overprotective of her pups. I had my bitch inside the house in a 800 kennel (Extra large) and I slept by her day and night for 4 days straight constantly rearranging her when she laid on them. I myself scolded her a bit in my impatience, being very seep deprived. I believe it helped her understand that I was not happy with her plopping herself on them.

Eventually when she would plop down on them and they cried out as soon as she heard my sigh and saw me getting up she began to arrange herself off of her puppies. If the litter is important to you like mine was to me you'll do whatever it takes to raise them all. I lost 1 pup on the second day but it was weak from the start. All of the remaining 6 are doing great and almost 12 weeks old now.

Good luck!

S_B

It wasn't just her smothering pups the it was the heat also

need to keep the cool

I agree with Jack's "too much room" thing. I think more room isn't really good at all.
    Some moms are stupid.
    Sorry for your trouble.

Oh man this bitch has smashed 5 puppies out of eleven man this is so frustrating an sickening

6 pups lived an I'm glad for it now all great pups about 6 months old now great pups

Quote Originally Posted by lansford101 View Post
    6 pups lived an I'm glad for it now all great pups about 6 months old now great pups
    Good deal!