Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underbite and genitics

Subscribed Member

underbite and genitics

Does the underbite seem to be dominate or recessive?
    THE WAY OF THE GUN

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an informative statement.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=24651

This dog has a horrible under bite. Combine it with his color and he looks like a Pug on steroids. Jacked up mouth and head.

In several breedings has thrown some of the most perfect scissor bites one would ever see. Muzzle lengthened and all.

With that said, I would guess recessive, at least in this dog.

EWO

Or typically referred as "Undershot" in bulldogs. I'd have to guess recessive but that's just a guess.

Adding to your question topic...someone chime in if they've ever had an "Overshot" bulldog, or "Parrot Mouth". The line I run is said to throw it occasionally, after nearly 20 years of the same family I've got a pup who is slightly overshot.

S_B

The pup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150831_124518.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150831_124336.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1128  

I had one dog that was overshot really bad. They call it parrot mouth like you said above S_B. After all of the dogs I've bred through the years, he was the only one I ever saw. It made it worse that he was the only dog born out of the breeding. It was also an out cross breeding.

He tested out good, but I just couldn't breed him back into anything. I always figure that things like that can be passed on and I don't want to take the chance of creating more dogs like that. There were a lot of people that still wanted to breed to him.

I agree Osagedogman as far as breeding goes. I'm hoping this guy doesn't get any worse as he ages, so far it's slight and doesn't affect him. He's a tough lil guy and smart....he's bred pretty tight so I suspected something may crop up.

S_B

Quote Originally Posted by S_B View Post
    I agree Osagedogman as far as breeding goes. I'm hoping this guy doesn't get any worse as he ages, so far it's slight and doesn't affect him. He's a tough lil guy and smart....he's bred pretty tight so I suspected something may crop up.

S_B
    When I say my dog had an overbite, I mean he had a really hugh overbite. The picture you posted, IMO is nothing to worry about. My dog had at least an inch gap between his upper and lower front teeth. It was like his bottom jaw was at least an inch shorter. He could still use his mouth and hang on, but it didn't really work that well and put a lot of strain on his bottom jaw.

I've run Alligator dogs for 20 years. Lots of undershot animals. I've evolved as a owner, breeder, of course my eye has improved over 2 decades as well and one has to have a pretty solid package all the way around to be bred now at my place.

The problem I run into is that the undershot dogs I have, cannot - typically, be bred back into the Alligator side of things b/c their undershot can result in such excessive deformation it doesn't matter what the rest of them is b/c their muzzle is too short, teeth are jacked up, etc.

Look at and evaluate the WHOLE of the picture - not just one part.

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter Kennel View Post
    I've run Alligator dogs for 20 years. Lots of undershot animals. I've evolved as a owner, breeder, of course my eye has improved over 2 decades as well and one has to have a pretty solid package all the way around to be bred now at my place.

The problem I run into is that the undershot dogs I have, cannot - typically, be bred back into the Alligator side of things b/c their undershot can result in such excessive deformation it doesn't matter what the rest of them is b/c their muzzle is too short, teeth are jacked up, etc.

Look at and evaluate the WHOLE of the picture - not just one part.
    I have this one http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=52033 and she is very undershot as is her mamma, Expresso. Expresso is one of Mr. Hammonds heaviest Alligator dogs and she has what I would consider an inbred looking dog but has produced some really nice bulldogs even when bred back into the family. My buddy had one off her and Zacatecas and man she was a well built dog but also was undershot. The littermates to my Java Express were these 3 males that looked like clones of each other and all had perfect scissor bites and nice muzzle length. In general though most of the dogs that I saw that came out of Expresso were not undershot so I would say this is a recessive trait for sure.

NQK,thanks for your input. Down the road I might breed this bitch and was thinking to something like this http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=53329 . Would you say this might be tight since she is already suffering from some unwanted recessive traits? Sorry to get off topic

This might be an article of interest. You have to realize that the female you have has a lot of wonderful qualities and is still growing and changing. These aren't show dogs in my opinion but working/hunting dogs that figure out how to get things done. With that being said maybe this article will shed some light on some old held beliefs that don't hold true anymore. Read below for some might not have a word program so sorry for that assumption.

Gator
    Attached Files Attached Files