Thread: dog wont tie

dog wont tie

Did the first stick and got a tie. Second and third the male did not get a tie. Has anyone had a dog that will not stay tied to the gyp?

Yep got an older male now. He was not mine early on, had a really hard life and his body is paying the toll now. He was kept beyond hog fat for a number of years on grocery store brand food. Like the Food Lion version of Dog Chow/Gravy Train/Alpo. He blew hot and just about passed out the first time we tried to breed him. I thought he was going to kick off that first day.

Mine will stick today and tie. Be pencil hard tomorrow, go in her but not tie.

The last time I let him tie one day and did an AI on her the next. He threw six pups.

If puppies were a must, I would concentrate on the female to ensure I hit the right day if he ends up being a one shot wonder (like mine).

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    Yep got an older male now. He was not mine early on, had a really hard life and his body is paying the toll now. He was kept beyond hog fat for a number of years on grocery store brand food. Like the Food Lion version of Dog Chow/Gravy Train/Alpo. He blew hot and just about passed out the first time we tried to breed him. I thought he was going to kick off that first day.

Mine will stick today and tie. Be pencil hard tomorrow, go in her but not tie.

The last time I let him tie one day and did an AI on her the next. He threw six pups.

If puppies were a must, I would concentrate on the female to ensure I hit the right day if he ends up being a one shot wonder (like mine).
    Thanks EWO. He's just how you described your male. Tied the first time, went in and ejaculated but no tie the second and tied the third.

If he is out of shape he won't tie. If he has a hard time getting inside the bitch he will be too tired to tie. If you can get him inside her you may need to hold him there for a few minutes.

My Telly dog is really high strung and very hard to breed... When I bred him to my Baby Face bitch he didn't tie... I basically guided him in and held him there. Was sure if the breeding would catch, but it did.

I had an old dog that wouldn't tie , in the end I took him to an Ai vet to take seamen from him and the vet said his sheath was too tight at the end and that was why he was unable to tie , he is a very experienced gentleman and said the condition is common