Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game/working dog structure vs show dog conformation standard

Game/working dog structure vs show dog conformation standard

I'd like to here opinions and insights on "show dog"confirmation and validity compared to structure and general physical characteristics of the working game dog. Appears to me there is significantly moore more variation in the working dogs then in the "show". Build type, proportion, angulation both front and rear, head; mouth qualities. How do y'all think each specific characteristic precisely impacts the function of a dog while working.

Also how does all this relate two the differences between apbt of the past, all the way back to the earliest dogs that first came to the US.

You have to understand that Real Apbt "show" like the beauty contests. The standard is what a Game dog SHOULD look like. BUT now the Bully and red and blue breeders have told the LIE for so long they believe it and have the newbies thinking that's just Show dogs. Wrong!
    They are Cur bred mutts nothing more! They made up their own registry and show standard.
    But some of the best Game dogs I have seen could have been GR CH show ring bulldogs also. As a matter of a fact if you look and study the APBT standard and really think it is all working for the same goal. The perfect k9 !!

I actually wonder about these things too. I do understand what we used to say on the field, “looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.” I studied orthopedics for awhile and structure sometimes dictates function. It seems that most dogs that have won have some confirmation similarities. I just wonder how selective breeders would be in finding studs that performed well and had good confrontation. I feel like I have a picture how my perfect dog would perform and act now I want to collect the genes to create him.

Specifically it seems like a lot of the Hollingsworth bull dogs have strong back ends. Seems like they would get good drive out of it. One stud I have been looking at is a little more muscled than some like. As a ex linebacker I like things that can take a lick.

I like red boy dogs too. I’d want to mix waccamaw and cottingham dogs for that side.

I hope this gets replies. I have been wanting to talk about it awhile.

I almost get a hard on when I look at this dog.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=23387
    His confirmation is perfect to me. He performed too.

I like this fella as well...

To me, Chinaman is still has the perfect conformation and built for an APBT.

I think conformation (ADBA) standard plays a very important role in function. If you take two dogs that are even across the board in ability but one suffers from a minor conformation flaw and one is conformationaly sound I would give the advantage to the dog with the better conformation. I think both of these dogs are built well and know they both would receive ribbons at an ADBA show.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=51029

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=42234

Creek Bottom

Quote Originally Posted by creek_bottom View Post
    I think conformation (ADBA) standard plays a very important role in function. If you take two dogs that are even across the board in ability but one suffers from a minor conformation flaw and one is conformationaly sound I would give the advantage to the dog with the better conformation. I think both of these dogs are built well and know they both would receive ribbons at an ADBA show.

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=51029

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum...p?dog_id=42234

Creek Bottom
    It does Creek .. its just a hard knock life And I guarantee This not just in bulldogs (take a Girl for example if she has her pick of two guys Both guys are exactly the same both nice booth good looking and treat her 100% but one has a Bigger Ahh say Wallet. You know whos WINNING that wisker bisket.
    Same with dogs sometimes the difference between good and Great is only 1/2 "..

The more I see pics of ADBA Gr Chs and [] champions the more I see there's a pretty big difference between the 2. The ADBA standard is supposedly based on winning dogs and I would agree too (just look at Chinaman, Buck, and so on). But recently I've seen more and more box winners (basing this on pics I saw of winners and champions of the old days) and champions that doesn't look what a pit bull should look. I think the conformation people focused too much on conformation and never even check their dogs even just a little bit, while the working camp people seems like totally disregard structure and conformation which is kinda sad to be honest.

I 100% agree with creek_bottom 2 dogs that are equal across the board, the one with better conformation and structure will have the advantage.