Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slatmill vs Carpetmill (post from facebook)

Slatmill vs Carpetmill (post from facebook)

For those that compete with their dogs!

Early morning thoughts.....
    every1 banging on,
    "you should make slat mills! "

Why?

Everybody thats asks for slat mills i ask them why they perfer/want slat and what their reason for it is. Most Popular answers, eh just do or because .......

My own personal thoughts on this is slatmills had a boom few years back and became popular and like the good old general public do.....follow the trend like sheep instead of research for themselves and make an educated decision. Or the fact youve to work and train the dog to work a carpet mill not just throw it on!.

No1 has yet to reply because i need to build my dogs wind!....or i have tracking dogs that will search mile after mile or have trail hounds and need em kept fit.

99% of you asking are either in2 dog sports or protection work!.

Resistance work builds stamina, power endurance, speed and can work on heart rate/recovery, it works both the muscular and circulatory system together not just 1or the other

Can increase the vo2 to the working muscles allowing them to perform harder and faster for longer!. Vo2 = volume of oxygen!

Why do you think pro fighters put so much time into their conditioning over endurance runs????

Laymans terms - convert to human equivalent so easy for all to comprehend.

Endurance work

Running on a treadmill ( similar to slatt)
    Yeah youl lose weight, but your muscles and skin goes soft and muscles will deteriorate

Resistance work
    ( carpet mill )
    Strengthens and tones the muscles as well as building stamina and increasing explosive power

So for your 3 minute trial station or 90sec aframe burts which do you think benefits and builds the explosive power needed?

Im not claiming my carpet mills are better than slatmills no!. Im telling you that the scientific evidence that resistance work trumps endurance!.
    And we wont even debate on noise 😂
    Ps to all yal giving it " you should build slat mills lad"
    Id i wanted to make and sell slatmills thats what id be doing but i dont follow the crowd

Nice post. And some pretty good information.

I am carpet mill guy at heart. But with that said, it all about the individual dog. The tall and long dog that can just about breathe underwater most of the time benefits from the muscular endurance work of the carpet mill. But his block built square brother, as tall as he is long, normally does not naturally breathe like his brother. This dog would benefit from the endurance/air type work of a slat mill.

Most dogs fall somewhere in between and can benefit from both. The biggest mistake made is having one plan with one piece of equipment and blanket all your dogs with the one plan and one piece of equipment.

It is some principles involved in conditioning and one of the biggest mistakes is digging a hole with a hammer. I can do it, but there are other tools much more suited for the job I need done. Same with the dogs. Not all the dogs are the same and in turn all of them have different needs. The best tool in the shed is simple honesty. Don't lie to yourself about your dog's strengths and weaknesses and don't he so hard headed as to not be willing to try a different approach.

Basically no one piece of equipment is better than any other. The successes depend on the dog first and how the conditioner chooses to use said equipment. This will hurt some feelings and step on some toes but most can't effectively use a mill much less read a dog working a mill-regardless of which type of mill.

I am believe in personal experience of theories and what "joe" down the road said, unless I know for a fact Joe has road up and down the road. A perfect example is if someone on this board who I do not know posts some workout plans with their dogs and mills. I will enjoy them as I read and will be hard pressed to try them if they differ substantially from how I think things should be done. On the other hand if CYJ says anything about a turn table I drop what I am doing, pull up a chair, open my mental notebook and soak up every syllable. So much so when I get back home I go to my book and write down everything I remember he said. Why? Everything he said made sense, so much so, I built one for myself. And it is simply a different dog coming off a table.

I worked CH Li Man for his fourth on the carpet mill and the turn table. The carpet mill I build mimics the dog running on the ground. No piece of equipment will out perform a dog all out sprinting on the ground propelling his weight forward against the earth's gravitational pull. None. My carpet mill mimics this gait. He does not look like he is chasing/trying to catch the belt and he does not lug along like he is pulling a boat. On my mill he pretty much looks like he is running on the ground. I built a 18 foot table. I wish it had been somewhat bigger but it was fit into the space I had. The dog was a freak natural athlete and piece of equipment would have made a pretty good dog. The two of them made him strong as a bull and that bull could breathe underwater.

DTA's CH Charlie (4XW) conditioned himself. if he could drive and count money, he could have gone out solo. The bulk of his keep consisted of sitting on a five-gallon bucket inside the chain space of another dog. Charlie would go into a dead sprint so fast most of his chain was off the ground. He turned his chain and chain spot into a jenny. He would go all out for three-four-five minutes, stop, bark two or three times and then go in the other direction. Propelling himself on the ground, with the added resistance of the chain made this dog freak strong, but more importantly he had muscular endurance, so he was 'stronger-longer. We could have honestly said 'we are coming off the chain' and I believe in better shape than 90% of the match dogs out there. And he did it to himself.

Multiple ways to get there and no one piece of equipment is really any better than another. Us getting the warm fuzzies is more important than anything else.

These are my favorite posts.

EWO

As always very well said EWO
    Now I'm curious about the CYJ turntable technique

He built his a little different than mine. I made mine out of a mobile home axle. It was way too free. I will try to post a video. I wish it had a little more resistance. I could give it a hard hand pull and it would turn what seemed like forever. I wish mine had been a little bigger, but I built it in the woods and fit it between the trees.

Hopefully CYJ will see this and offer up some insight.

EWO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NJuJn_1Jg

I was int he middle of building the table and this puppy was in and out of my feet so I set him up there to keep me from stepping on him.

He just started making it spin.

EWO

Quote Originally Posted by EWO View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NJuJn_1Jg

I was int he middle of building the table and this puppy was in and out of my feet so I set him up there to keep me from stepping on him.

He just started making it spin.

EWO
    Ingenuity!
    Good looking pup!

5/8th Red Boy. Pedigree chock full of producers and winners.

He was my pick male.

Cold as ice.

EWO

Wow, a rare one "Cold Redboy".
    Maybe the 3/8 contributed to the "Cold" Genes

It happens.

His sister won a show and the brother was one I wish I had picked.

I kept him for what seemed like forever simply hoping.

EWO

Nice table. you have a plan for it?