Thread: The Pit Bull Historian

The Pit Bull Historian

I was listening to the great four separate interviews by Hellcat. The dog man that was being interviewed went by the call name, The Pit Bull Historian. Do any of you know this dog man's real name? I started guessing like maybe Joe Adams or Dean Plemmons etc. LOL Anyone know give me a post. Cheers

I found out who the Historian's name was. Name is Ed Mullins. Years back I stopped in at Joe Beal's for a short visit before going on up the road to visit Sonny Shropshire. Mullins, and I assume a girlfriend was at Mr. Beals that day.

His interviews were interesting. Some of his information came out of all those dog magazines/books that Mr. Beal had over the many years. Mr. Beal let me take all those magazines and make photocopies. Which I did return the originals to him.

The last major stud dog Mr. Joe Beal had and used was bred off my dog yard. Was an older female of his breeding, later named Young's Amber. I got Amber from S. Shropshire, was bred to my Young's Chuck (Carver/Creel). P. R. Morris' daughter (a registered nurse) had to hand raise that litter due to Amber's milk going bad. Mr. Beal named his dog Southern Johnny Reb. He liked the dog a lot. Cheers
    Last edited by CYJ; 09-04-2024 at 12:43 PM. Reason: name correction etc.

Is that Paul R. Morris the chicken man?

Yes, that is correct, I called him by his middle name at that time. I saw Paul was on Face Book. I called him and we had a nice chat. He kept two of those pups. I kept two and gave one of that breeding to Mr. Joe Beal. The other was lost on V.J.'s yard during that flash flood.

Morris won one show with the female he had. He had done nothing at that time with the male dog. All his dogs got confiscated by the H.S. etc. and were put down. Think that was the end of him owning any bull dogs. All this was over twenty-five or thirty years ago. Cheers

He is famous for his Boston Roundhead Gamefowls.

Rome1999, that is the female. Morris never got to do anything with the male. If you notice the Beal's Ida Red pedigree. This female went back to the older E. Crenshaws dogs and the red nose Lightner dogs etc. Mr. Ed Crenshaw later bred that Kinard's Sad Sack dog into his line. The Sad Sack dog was out of the same litter that Teal's Tip/Teal's Susie-que etc. dogs.

Amber's full sister Young's Flame was a clone look alike of the Ferguson's Centipede dog. There were some pups bred off the Flame female. Both females were rough hard scratching females. But both were high strung nut cases. Digging in their runs to China and barking at ghosts in the holes. I tried everything to keep their milk clean but was a loss cause for me. Morris's daughter who was a registered nurse was able to raise that one litter off Amber by hand raising them. She used a special milk from their veterinarian. Paul told me he would never go through that again. LOL

Mr. Beal also bred his Ida Red brood bitch to Zebo. Mr. Beal was good friends with Mr. Heinzl, went out to spend time with Mr. Heinzl. Each time he bred Ida Red to Heinzl's stud dogs. I did get to see Ida Red and his Zebo bitch off of Ida Red.

The sad part for me being a beginner dog man. Was not asking how that McCraw's Snowball dog came to be. Mr. Beal could have taken me to visit McCraw and Dean Plemmons. I had been told and read in those old Pete Spark's magazines. That Mr. Bob Hemphill had Tudor's Dibo on his yard for a season. Mr. Hemphill and Mr. Earl Tudor were good friends that had two things in common. The game dogs and game fowl.

I was honored that Mr. Beal's his last main stud dog was off my yard. We exchanged dogs at no cost to either. Out of the Carver/Creel dog (Young's Chuck) and his older line bred Ida Red stock, Young's Amber. Cheers
    Last edited by CYJ; 09-07-2024 at 01:45 PM. Reason: addition

As always, great history.

EWO