Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a bitch with a uterus infection

I have a bitch with a uterus infection

I have a bitch with a uterus infection and she was prescribed Enrofloxacin 136mg. The dosage is 2 capsules once a day. Initially, she would not eat at all, and had large amounts of fluid leaking from her. After three to four days on the antibiotics, she ate just a little bit, and continued to have large amounts of fluid (puss like substance with some blood) leak out of her. Eventually the liquid stopped leaking out of her, and her appetite returned to normal for a day or two. Now it seems like we are nearly back to the starting point with her. She continues to have fluid leaking out of her, and her appetite seems to be getting less and less again. She is still eating, but not as much as she should be. My question is, if you have been through this before, what have you found to be the best course of treatment? It has been recommended that I have her spayed. As much as I hate to do this, in this case, I do believe it is the only thing that will spare her life. The vet will not do it, however, until I can get her health back up. Her red blood cell count is low, and her weight is low as well (skin and bones). She normally weighs 60 to 62 lbs. Last time I took her to the vet, she was at 52 lbs.

Any advice on how I might get her healthy enough to go through the surgery? Thank you for your time and God bless.

SHOWBOX

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWBOX View Post
    I have a bitch with a uterus infection and she was prescribed Enrofloxacin 136mg. The dosage is 2 capsules once a day. Initially, she would not eat at all, and had a large amounts of fluid leaking from her. After three to four days on the antibiotics, she ate just a little bit, and continued to have large amounts of fluid (puss like substance with some blood) leak out of her. Eventually the liquid stopped leaking out of her, and her appetite returned to normal for a day or two. Now it seems like we are nearly back to the starting point with her. She continues to have fluid leaking out of her, and her appetite seems to be getting less and less again. She is still eating, but not as much as she should be. My question is, if you have been through this before, what have you found to be the best course of treatment? It has been recommended that I have her spayed. As much as I hate to do this, in this case, I do believe it is the only thing that will spare her life. The vet will not do it, however, until I can get her health back up. Her red blood cell count is low, and her weight is low as well (skin and bones). She normally weighs 60 to 62 lbs. Last time I took her to the vet, she was at 52 lbs.
    Any advice on how I might get her healthy enough to go through the surgery? Thank you for your time and God bless.
    SHOWBOX

You should add either Metronidazole, or Clavamox, to the Enrofloxacin you're giving.
    Also, you should NOT take her off the antibiotics until she is better! The worst thing you could do would be to get her "almost" better, and then to stop with the antibiotics.
    You give the antibiotics until she is better PLUS 3 more days after that, to be sure.

But the metronizazole gets anaerobic bacteria, and it is a good thing to add to the Baytril (Enrofloxacin) you're giving, or so too is Clavamox.
    Clavamox and Metronidazole are also good together.

But she should be on major antibiotics for at least 3 weeks.

Best of luck to you,

Jack

PS: And if she can stomach it, mixing a full garlic horn with a cup of water, and adding it to her feed, will create a more toxic bloodflow to the bacteria. Garlic works great to combat overall malaise and infection.

Im going to suggest getting a culture done to see exactly what kind of bacterial infection is present. It is possible to have more than one type of bacteria and one may not be susceptible to the antibiotics you are using.

Good suggestion, as always.

Feed her yogurt daily. Shell need the good bacteria. May also prevent a future yeast infection

Thank you all for the outstanding advice. I have already implemented the addition of Metronidazole in combination with the Baytril (Enrofloxacin) that she is currently receiving.

I will include a full garlic horn with a cup of water (hopefully she can stomach it) as well as yogurt to her feed. Once again thank you, and know that your quick and notable responses are appreciated. God bless.

SHOWBOX

Did your vet say if it was a pyometra or acute metritus?

Did the condition come about just after a heat or after birthing?

Good luck,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CA Jack View Post
    Did your vet say if it was a pyometra or acute metritus?

Did the condition come about just after a heat or after birthing?

Good luck,

Jack
    That is exactly what I was wondering. I think that is the most important info that was left out.

The vet diagnosed her with Pyometra and it came about after her heat. I will continue to keep everyone posted on her health.

SHOWBOX

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWBOX View Post
    The vet diagnosed her with Pyometra and it came about after her heat. I will continue to keep everyone posted on her health.
    SHOWBOX
    Your bitch, then, has an open pyometra which means she does not necessarily have to be spayed.

Your bitch may treat successfully with the antibiotics alone, but the chance of recovery is even better with prostaglandin therapy as well.

Consult your vet for this option, but be aware that many vets have a "spay all pit bulls" mentality and he (or she) might only want your dog spayed.

Jack